4D Stirling - Under Construction

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: 4D Stirling - Under Construction

Post by Stirling Project »

Looking good James.

Not sure if this is still a rough scheme but the sloping frame on the P2 side shouldn't be there as it should be a vertical diaphragm mounted one frame further forward Fr 5). It's a strange design in that the rear of the P2 seat rails overhang frame 5 and are support by 2 diagonal support struts which slope down and forwards to mount on the vertical diaphragm.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi John,

I had to read your comment several times before I realised that you weren't talking about the wings! :-)

I haven't done much with the Pilots flooring yet and the reason that that area is wrong is because I am still lazily letting the computer add the whole of the Starboard side of the aircraft as a mirror image. I still have the drawing you kindly sent of the flooring in the cockpit which I'll use when the time comes.

The next picture will be of the Nav and W/O locations!

Cheers
James
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

LOL

No probs James, I guessed you'd be on top of it :D
Lancbuilder
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Lancbuilder »

Bloody amazing - that's all I can say! What enthusiasm! What's your 'daytime' job Sir?
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi Lancbuilder

I'm an electronics design engineer but I was fascinated by 3D graphics many years ago, it seemed to me that the ability to view or animate a 'drawing' from any location and any angle in any lighting condition was better than a simple 'one off' 2D fixed view. The only penalty is that you do have to draw the whole thing!

The additional joy though is that I can produce an infinite number of copies and use gold and diamonds if I want! Unlike any Stirling construction at the moment I will be able to 'fly' with it and re-create conditions over Berlin. The drawback is that it is only on the monitor and nothing really tangible results, however there is no 'mess' either, I can't seem to control glue and paint!

Modelling, cgi and rebuilds are complementary and it's great to see them all in place for the Stirling. I passed my 3D file for the FN4 Stirling turret to another model builder and he used it to 'print' a version for his RC Lancaster, have a look at his final animated result around the middle of this page:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 47&page=72

I'm really most impressed by your modelling, such attention to detail at so small a level. I suspect that you have to do the same level of research as I do in order to get the right dimensions. I'm impressed by how good the 'perspex' on your turret looks, I remember how my models always had a gluey fingerprint on every transparent part!

Cheers
James
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

TR9 Installed!

tr9 22.jpg
tr9 22.jpg (208.23 KiB) Viewed 61008 times
Hi All

The TR9 is now installed in N6012, with grateful thanks to Alf Fisher the curator of The Signals Museum at RAF Henlow who has spent ages taking pics of their radio and making umpteen measurements for me without getting bored!

The photo isn't behaving well - the whole radio is there, fiddle about if you can't see it all!

As before the textures are just temporary as is the lighting - when I finish the model I'll learn how to do them properly!

Cheers
James
Last edited by jamesinnewcastle on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

tr9 23a.jpg
tr9 23a.jpg (135.16 KiB) Viewed 61008 times
View in-situ
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

The remote controls and cabling: Transmit/Off/Receive, Tuning, volume control and 'Special Frequency' selection (all awaiting the text, that comes later)

James
tr9 20a.jpg
tr9 20a.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 61008 times
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

A General View so far, the colours are a but mad but it makes modelling faster and easier to spot flaws. All Small stuff recently but may fill in the cross struts to give a little more 'bulk'
Attachments
tr9 27.jpg
tr9 27.jpg (141.76 KiB) Viewed 60980 times
wayne
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by wayne »

James,

Absolutely stunning !!!!!!!
I love the updates of your 4D Stirling.

Thanks for sharing.