1/48 Lockheed Ventura MkII

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: 1/48 Lockheed Ventura MkII

Post by PAFG »

Coming on nicely, Mike. Any particular aircraft in mind yet?

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

PAFG wrote:Coming on nicely, Mike. Any particular aircraft in mind yet?

Richard
Hi Richard
I'm tending towards AE939 SB-G 454 Squadron 2 Group. I have to say its an impressive kit and I hadn't realised how large the Ventura was compared to its contemporaries.
Thanks for looking
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

In these views the work required to make good the seam between the clear nose parts and the forward fuselage can be seen. Nothing really major except I found a moulding sink mark just in front of the cockpit canopy.
Next some grey green undercoat and then a good wash to clean the model ready for top coat paints.
Till the next.

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A quick squirt with paint and all seems well at the sharp end. I've also been preparing other details such as the BP Turret, landing gear and propellers etc..
Till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

I'm grateful to a fellow modeller on another forum for pointing out where I could make improvements, namely reshaping the rear cockpit bulkhead and addition of the sunscreen to the canopy roof.

And here is the canopy finaly fitted ready for the first coat of paint.
Till the next
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Time to start painting and first step is the black de-icing boots followed by masking.

Next the camouflage consisting of three coats of Dark earth followed by three coats of Dark Green sprayed freehand following a pencil outline.
Till the next.

Mike
W4783
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by W4783 »

Brilliant Mike, that will be a very nice model when you've finished.
Are you aware it is private property? Why you"ll be asking me to bomb Essen next.

British Secretary of State for Air
Sir Kingsley Wood
Sep 1939
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

W4783 wrote:Brilliant Mike, that will be a very nice model when you've finished.
I think it is a great example already!

From experience, there is a lot of effort already gone into the canopy ............... masking one is such a chore, well done mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

After the upper surface camouflage has cured the masking goes on for the lower surface Sky. The masks were made from paper and then transferred onto masking tape.

Lower surface sky is applied and once cured off comes the masking and then a few brush coats of Klear.

Then the decaling commences. I found that the kit decals namely the roundels and fin flashes had to be replaced as the blue colour was woefully insipid. I also noticed that the kit instructions would have the lower outer parts of the fins painted sky but reference to photographs shows them as camouflage colour, either Dark Earth or Dark Green as appropriate.
Thanks for looking, till the next.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Decaling is now complete and a final sealing coat of Klear has been applied. Weathering and exhaust stains have been added using oils.
The first applications of Humbrol Flat Cote have been applied to be followed by the final retouching after the masks come off.
Thanks for looking.
Mike