1/48 Lockheed Ventura MkII

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: 1/48 Lockheed Ventura MkII

Post by PAFG »

Hi Mike,

That is quite something! Great to be able to follow the progress through from the beginning, many thanks for taking the time to take photos and post explanations. Are the Klear and Flat Cote sprayed or brushed on? If brushed, how do you keep a smooth finish without lumps and bumps?

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Finally off comes the transparency masking, I always think this is a key land mark in any build. The end is in sight.
To one side are the bomb doors awaiting completion.
A bit more retouching, but its getting there. Thanks for looking.
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Hi Richard
All of the painting is executed with an airbrush. Klear being almost water consistency is brushed on with a wide sable brush. As it dries fairly quickly it doesn't attract hair and dust particles and its impervious to spirit based paints so you can experiment with weathering etc and simply wipe it off with white spirit without damaging the paintwork if it doesn't suit. If you ever need to remove Klear windolene will do the job. All other paints and finishes are spirit based.
Regards

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Now that the flat finish has dried the bomb doors which were temporarily fixed have been removed and work resumed on the bomb bay. I have to say fitting the bomb doors is fiddly. Not sure whether to install a bomb load or not.
Till the next
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Final details such as aerials and pitot going on and awaiting painting. Still not sure if I'll fit a bomb load and the wheel doors were a nightmare.
Nearly there. Thanks for looking
Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Nearly there. The bombs are under preparation. The tails have been sprayed buff and masked off and the bodies have now been sprayed dark green.
Thanks for looking.
Till the next

Mike
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

A view of the bomb bay with 2 x 250LB and 2 x500LBs in place. A little more wear and tear to do and its finished.
Thanks for looking
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

I think that 's brilliant, Mike. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the build and learnt a lot along the way! I don't know much about the Ventura but she's a very utilitarian looking beast. Many thanks for sharing. What's next?!

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Lockheed Ventura MkII G George RAAF No 464 Squadron Feltwell 2 Group Bomber Command.
All-in all no real problems with this kit other than the decals had to be replaced as per the build diary and Revell incorrectly assign this aircraft to 454 Squadron. It's a pity Revell didn't supply the RAF canopy with the blisters and the correct pattern wheels; perhaps they'll reconsider later on.
The American bombs were replaced with RAF types left over from a Trumpeter Wellington
Its finished, thanks for looking.
Mike

W4783
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by W4783 »

A real cracker of a job Mike, that is a lovely kit. :!:
Are you aware it is private property? Why you"ll be asking me to bomb Essen next.

British Secretary of State for Air
Sir Kingsley Wood
Sep 1939