NA Harvard: Rhodesian Air Training Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

NA Harvard: Rhodesian Air Training Group

Post by ME453 »

The Harvard was the advanced trainer for the majority of those pilots destined for fighters, though it is recorded that some bomber pilots had a spell of training on the Harvard besides their multi-engined experience. This model is the KittyHawk 1/32nd scale NA T-6 which the RAF adapted and re-named Harvard. I've made many subtle changes as listed below to accurately turn this kit into a Harvard:

A2Zee resin canopy used giving the correct framing
Brassin Mustang wheels of the correct size used: the hubs of these had to be modified
Front and rear instrument panels changed, spadegrip joysticks used
Modern navigation/comms cockpit equipment replaced with appropriate period items
Rear wheel fairing made and fitted
Wingtip navigation lights removed, replaced with correct type slightly inboard above and below wingtip
Twin tail lights removed completely for RATG Harvards

NOTE: the main undercarriage location/position on the kit definitely is wrong, each needs moving outboard by approximately 3mm

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: NA Harvard: Rhodesian Air Training Group

Post by CavOk »

An outstanding build, and lovely finish.
What's next?
Mike
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

There's a Tiger Moth on the bench right now Mike....with luck it'll be followed by a vacuform Cornell and a Hurricane, all to 1/32nd scale and all RATG finish.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Interesting choice, I'll look forward to them.
Mike
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

As ever, Max, it's a thing of beauty. I love the open cowlings and the engine detailing - and the choice of codes/colours of course!

R
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

PAFG wrote:As ever, Max, it's a thing of beauty. I love the open cowlings and the engine detailing - and the choice of codes/colours of course!

R
Thank you Richard. It's curious that the kit gives you some engine details, bearers etc and yet then you're supposed to close it all up! I have a small diorama in mind for it, the pilot (Dad) sitting patiently waiting for the fault to be fixed and I also love adding extra detail on engines etc. My Tiger Moth will have the engine panels open too:

but it's still WIP with all the rigging, decals and weathering still to do. That checkerband took forever with individual squares! We must arrange a coffee soon!! :)
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk