Matching Paint to an Object

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Matching Paint to an Object

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi All

I don't know if this is useful or widely known about but as I am restoring some WW2 radio equipment I needed a paint that matched the original. You might want to match a paint for a modelling project.

No suitable colour in the standard range nor in the RAL or other standard swatches and of course there is no useful way to match a colour using a computer screen.

While you can get home decoration paint matched by taking a sample into a store this only gets you emulsion or gloss paint!

However I found a company on line that will match a sample paint colour and give you spray cans of paint suitable for metals.

Attached is a photo of the result - the paint was sampled by sending the small box capacitor to the company. I used this as it had been inside the enclosure for 65 years and so hadn't faded. In the photo the spray paint was applied in the area roughly enclosed by the red line. It's a very good match I think.

I'm not associated with the company but if you can't find someone offering the service PM me and I'll give you the URL of the one I used.

Cheers
James
Attachments
Img_3654b.jpg
Img_3654b.jpg (238.15 KiB) Viewed 15857 times
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Matching Paint to an Object

Post by Bruno »

Hi James,

Great work!
Thanks for the info.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi James

The last lot of paint we got was matched to an original piece we had and we got several litres from an autofactors, they also decanted an amount into 2 rattle cans which allows us to do touch ups and small parts

John
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi John/Bruno

Seems like everyone knew about paint matching except me! My Googling needs some refining I think!

James