1:3.7 scale FN5 turrets for filming

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Fidd88
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

1:3.7 scale FN5 turrets for filming

Post by Fidd88 »

Hi all,

I've just completed a pair of scratch-built FN5 turrets. They're mostly built from 3d printed nylon, with some ABS, sheet aliuminium and brass. Each weighs 1.7kg and is almost entirely held together with M1 and M1.6 machine screws, either with a nut on the back through plain holes, or into hand-tapped holes. The intention is to mount these into a large model of a Mk1C Wimpy, and to film both from within the turrets, but also from within the fuselage at or near some crew positions. To that end, I'll shortly be building prototype geodetic structures from extruded alloy - but that's another story!

The turrets feature working pneumatically operated gun-cradles, a gunsight mechanically linked as per the full-size turret, which keeps the gunsight parallel to the guns, and fully working miniature collimating gunsights built in collaboration with Tim Noack. There's provision for motorised traverse, and as much detail as I could cram in over the 5 years they took to design and make. There are a handful of errors, which were either too expensive to fix, or required unwarrantable time to deal with, but most will not notice these, and some will be hidden by the gunner's figurine which will eventually be fitted, itself concealing a small camera.

I attack a couple of pictures, and a link to my latest film. You may wish to go to my youtube channel to see the films full-screen, at which point just search youtube for "Fidd88". Anyway, I hope it's of interest to some of you. If you are interested please leave a like and/or comment on youtube

Regards Tim Huff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3bkapxHp5M My last and latest film

45.jpg
45.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
P1070772.jpg
P1070772.jpg (157.31 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: 1:3.7 scale FN5 turrets for filming

Post by Mark Joyce »

That's amazing work, Tim. I didn't realize their size until I saw your hand in one during the video. They seem much larger due to the incredible detail.

What's the plan with the Wellington once finished?

Cheers,

Mark
Fidd88
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Fidd88 »

Mark Joyce wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:00 pm That's amazing work, Tim. I didn't realize their size until I saw your hand in one during the video. They seem much larger due to the incredible detail.
What's the plan with the Wellington once finished?
Cheers,
Mark
Cheers, Mark. They are pretty big, with the turret-tub the rear-turret stands 38cm tall, and from the cupola section stands 27cm high. So about the size of a soccer-ball I guess. (1:3.7 scale)

The Wellington will - I hope - be a flybable RC model, but instead of using balsa, I'll be using extruded alloy, curved to shape, that will allow the geodetic structure of the original, with a largely rivetted and bolted assembly - as per the full-size aircraft. I've been researching the Wellington airframe for 7 years, and the turrets for 5. I've got a "cunning plan" as to how to curve the extruded channel without deforming the cross-section, but a lot is going to depend on practical experiments over the next couple of years. This is an old drawing (attached), when the scale of the aircraft was 1:4.5, but the same amended forms of sheer and gusset fittings for the standard geodetic node will be used at the new scale.

There are numerous potential show-stoppers, overall weight, and C of G being the main ones, but also well the structure can withstand vibration and aerodynamic loads in flight. But it's the geodetics that primarily interest me, so I have to have a go! Also attached are a couple of pictures of the scale carbon-fibre geodetic channel I produced a few years ago. It proved very strong, and light at 33mm to the gramme, but was expensive and had a high failure rate. I think I used the wrong grade of silicone in the two part partially sacrificial extruded silicone moulds, but it was nearly an elegant solution. The pictures shew it atop a piece of real Wellington geodetic.

Do take a look at the older videos which document the build. Fidd88 on youtube
ww2olgeodetics assembly with 2.0v6 shear fittings v42.jpg
ww2olgeodetics assembly with 2.0v6 shear fittings v42.jpg (130.47 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
dem3.jpg
dem3.jpg (177.31 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
dem2.jpg
dem2.jpg (224.56 KiB) Viewed 8016 times
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark Joyce »

Thanks for the additional information and photographs, Tim. It sounds like a very ambitious project, so best of luck to you.

I'll check out those other videos as well.

Cheers,

Mark
Fidd88
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Fidd88 »

No problem It's only fair to warn you that quite a few of them are more or less unedited, and a bit dull unless you're fascinated with turrets or Wimpy's or prefereably both! I'd never shot a video before this project, and they're really just me documenting stuff for a few mates. There's a playlist of the "best of" (read "less awful") films, with one list for the turret, and the other for all the mould-making side which was a first attempt for me to make a tool to vac-form the front windows.