MkIV Conversion glazing.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

MkIV Conversion glazing.

Post by GuyMassey »

I am modelling a MkIV based on the wonderful old Airfix 72nd scale B1/III.

Most of the MkIV Stirlings were conversions from the MkIII and had the faring removed and a circular plate riveted where the Mid Upper turret was. The MkIII had had the lower window on the sbd side of the nose omitted, and so I suspect it was also missing on the MkIII/IV conversion. Nearly all the models that I have seen of the MkIV have overlooked this mod. Am I correct in the assumption that all MkIV's were missing this window? :?

I intend to vacuform the new glazing for the nose, but retain the original bomb aimers framed lower glass. This I feel will we better than the one piece bubble that is made elsewhere. If it works, I should then be in a position to supply others if needed. Watch this space! :idea:

Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: MkIV Conversion glazing.

Post by GuyMassey »

Having now looked at several photographs of MkIV Stirlings from the Stbd side, it seems that the lower window was indeed omitted as per the MkIII. Oddly all the reference books that I have seen containing colour drawings show this window in place, quite a trap for the unsuspecting modeler to fall into (or had it been re-instated on some new build MkIVs?)
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Guy, sorry it took so long to reply.

Max or David may be able to shine some light on these details. They have good knowledge of various brands of models and their 'variations'.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Curiously there is an abundance of photos of the port side, rather than the starboard but I agree that such as there are of the starboard side show the relevant window omitted. I have a vague recollection that there was a specific reason for this but presently it escapes me. The conversion was weight saving oriented and maybe it was to increase the strength and as some were destined for SOE work to cut down the light emission/
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Thanks for that, I will omit the lower sbd window on my MkIV, I am all but certain now that it wasn't fitted and that the illustrations that I have seen are incorrect.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

There is one is this topic Guy which you have probably seen.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44&start=40

But have to say I am continually surprised that there are so many inaccurate illustrations and plans published - and I think because some people cannot be bothered to do their own research the "errors" get perpetuated. Rather naughty really.