Current Aircraft Models being made ..........

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
Smiffy
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Current Aircraft Models being made ..........

Post by Smiffy »

John,
Some very nice looking panel bashing going on there, not your first attempt I suspect. Is this an overgrown coffee table? (I've heard of a merlin under a perspex cover in a living room before now) or is there a plan for it?

Nice to see, thanks

Smiffy.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

To quote Baldrick "there is a cunning plan" the only trouble is, is that I've yet to find it!

At the moment I'm just enjoying the challenge and unlike the Stirling cockpit I can pick it up and drop it when I feel like it so it's a bit of light relief. I'll probably loan it to a museum when I'me done :roll:

John
Woody
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Woody »

PAFG wrote:Hi John - don't think you need to do too much more, it's in better nick than the one I flew as an air cadet :shock:

Richard
Lol, one of my lasting memories of Chipmunks is hanging upside down swinging in a loose safety harness with a panel full of masking tape covering the holes where instruments should be as the engine splutters over Southport :shock:

John, hopefully it will be finished in a few months :lol:

Neil
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

In a couple of months but in which year, I couldn't tell you.... :shock:

Welcome to the Forum btw Neil :D
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well as the scope of this topic is being stretched a bit here is something I am in the process of finishing - for the younger members it is a Sopwith Pup WWi fighter and occasional bomber also used by the RNAS. The construction is traditional - bits of balsa stick glued together - covered with tissue and it will be powered by an electric motor with a lipo battery and a "electronic controller' that has three settings. All this is packed in a unit measuring less than inch square! The first setting is "idle" or tickover. It then proceeds to fast running for take off and flight and after a set time the motor then slows down for landing. Oh, and the model is 17 inches span.
Attachments
Pupmod2.jpg
Pupmod2.jpg (19.41 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Beautiful work there, David. Thank you for sharing this with us.
This fine example may just get your old sparing partner Max, out of hibernation. I've heard he's bunkered down for the winter ............ can only hope he has defrosted come May 2013.

With all that snow, you may need F.I.D.O to help you out of a bind.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Thank you John - I must admit that building that kind of model is a nice change from the plastic ones although it has t be said that those are very demanding too. To fill a bit of space here is another "uncovered"...

As to Max - well he is getting on a bit now I suppose? For my part the reason I am not that active here is simply no more complex than having a number of thing to occupy my time - coupled with the fact that things also take a little longer generally.
Attachments
Pupframe2.jpg
Pupframe2.jpg (127.29 KiB) Viewed 4255 times