Current Aircraft Models being made ..........

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Current Aircraft Models being made ..........

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Thought it has been awhile since we have had any comment of 'models' being made, so ........ I thought I'd ask if are any members currently making an aircraft of their choice? If so, we would love to see any 'under construction' photos.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Current Aircraft Models being made ..........

Post by Stirling Project »

I've just finished a 1/72 Canberra T4 (converted from the Airfix B(I)8 using a Heritage models conversion set). I've just started on a 1/72 Special Hobby Pembroke. Somehow I've found myself concentrating on Post war trainer aircraft and have finished a T2 Jaguar and Hunter in raspberry ripple markings as well as a Piston Provost, Gnat, Bulldog (SA) and Chipmunk. Saying that I've done a Coastal Command Wellington in the last year and have a Blenheim calling to me.

If you want some work in progress photos, I'll post some of my 1:1 scale Chipmunk cockpit in the next couple of days ;)

John
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

here's some pics of WP927 when I bought her in 2007; as you can see the cockpit was full of cr@p and it had been attacked by an angle grinder in totally innappropriate places :o
WP927 before restoration 1.jpg
DSCF0344.jpg
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

John L. ......... when I said models, I meant 1:72 scale or 1:48 scale models ! NOT REAL LIFE SIZE !......but I can't slow your enthusiasm so please, post away !
Great stuff mate.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

LOL. I knew I was stretching things a bit :lol:

I'll post some photos of WP927 as she is now a bit later, but I don't want this to take up too much of this thread. I will post some pics of the Canberra as it's the latest a bit later too.

JL

Ps I have got a life outside of aviation...trust me!
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

I've attached some photos of 927 pretty much as she is now. Unfortunately I haven't been able to devote much time to her since June 2009 due to family/work/Stirling commitments although I have started work again in the last few weeks or so doing some tidying up work.

Since I bought the cockpit, I've grafted on the back end of WP899 (written off in a T/O accident) up to the transport joint, this involved replacing the entire top deck of the cockpit, replacing the side skins and making lower frames at Fr7 and making an entire new transport joint frame. Once I've finished making Fr7 I can start rivetting it all back together again and make a start on replacing the cockpit components.

Anyway, that's enough of the Chippy, let's get back to modelling :D

JL
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great photos John. Can you explain the different colour 'rivets' ( I think ) in the last photo, thanks.
John
Smiffy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Smiffy »

Hi John,
I may stand corrected but they're called gripper pins and hold panels in position on to ribs and stringers etc to allow accurate riveting. The different colours identify different diameter holes/rivets. Rivet......touch....ahhh, brings Back memories.

Smiffy.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi John - don't think you need to do too much more, it's in better nick than the one I flew as an air cadet :shock:

Richard
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Smiffy wrote:Hi John,
I may stand corrected but they're called gripper pins and hold panels in position on to ribs and stringers etc to allow accurate riveting. The different colours identify different diameter holes/rivets. Rivet......touch....ahhh, brings Back memories.

Smiffy.
Quite correct Smiffy

Red for 3/32", yellow for 1/8". The poor old girl had been unwanted and unloved for some time and had some very unnecessary surgery to boot. Gradually getting there on a very frugal budget :)

JL