299 Squadron Stirling Build - Arnhem

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: 299 Squadron Stirling Build - Arnhem

Post by GuyMassey »

The final touches to the under carriage. You could thin the panel edges if you are looking for extra realism.
Attachments
Frame gloss varnished
Frame gloss varnished
UC04.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 213719 times
Brake pipes added and panels aluminium dry brusshed and detailed
Brake pipes added and panels aluminium dry brusshed and detailed
UC05.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 213719 times
The complete assemblies set aside for later
The complete assemblies set aside for later
UC06.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 213719 times
Last edited by GuyMassey on Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Nice work with the 'aged' tyres, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

The run up to Christmas has caused a temporary slow down, but the next update will be about cowls, gills and the mighty Hercules. These items have taken a fair bit of thought, but watch this space, there could be one or two surprises!
Oh yes, before I forget...

:D :D :D A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL!!! :D :D :D
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Happy New Year to you too Guy - great work on the build, looking forward to seeing it completed early in 2012!

Richard
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Finally an end to the festivities of the last few weeks and back to the grind... and of course my Stirling!
Now then, where was I? Oh yes, engines and cowls. This is the third Airfix Stirling that I have made, and the first in grey plastic. The old moulds have suffered over the years and are beginning to look their age. There has been more flash and misshapen parts than ever, and in my kit the cowls had really suffered. I dropped Airfix an email and within a week four new cowls arrived. These were still not great but at least they were complete. Looking at these parts on my bench, I decided to experiment and improve the detail.
Attachments
Airfix's parts. No engine detail and boring cowls
Airfix's parts. No engine detail and boring cowls
PC210029.jpg (38.98 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Sanding the poor gill detail off and rebating slightly
Sanding the poor gill detail off and rebating slightly
PC220039.jpg (49.08 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Cutting the gills from thin plastic using a stamp collector's mount guillotine
Cutting the gills from thin plastic using a stamp collector's mount guillotine
PC220041.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Last edited by GuyMassey on Wed May 20, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I decided to go the whole hog and invest in new engines from Vector http://www.neomega-resin.com/vector/british.htm. At £5 each for a little bag made this a little expensive, but what the heck it'll be fun!!!
Attachments
The Vector 72nd scale Hercules
The Vector 72nd scale Hercules
E04.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
The first engine assembled, ensuring that the ports are to the front of the cylinders
The first engine assembled, ensuring that the ports are to the front of the cylinders
E05.jpg (77.05 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
The crank case painted silk black and the cylinders washed over with a thin solution of artist's Burnt Umber and Turpentine, this really gets into the detail. Then set aside to dry
The crank case painted silk black and the cylinders washed over with a thin solution of artist's Burnt Umber and Turpentine, this really gets into the detail. Then set aside to dry
E08.jpg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Last edited by GuyMassey on Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

More on the engines!
Attachments
After an initial dry brush over with Humbrol aluminium to bring out the detail
After an initial dry brush over with Humbrol aluminium to bring out the detail
E09.jpg (70.02 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Trial fitting the Vector Hercules into the modified Airfix cowl. Note the cooling gills now in place
Trial fitting the Vector Hercules into the modified Airfix cowl. Note the cooling gills now in place
E10.jpg (72.1 KiB) Viewed 213717 times
Last edited by GuyMassey on Wed May 20, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I've just noticed... I've been promoted, I'm now a WO1!!! Yay! I now intend to match my father's rank at the time of Market Garden (P/O) in time to show him the completed model... I will celebrate my commission with the lads in style with a pint at my local.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great going there Guy. Once you have reached your fathers' rank, if you like, we may be able to lock that rank for you, if you wish. I know of one member on another forum who requested as such.
Those new engines look great! Can we swap?
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi John,
Got a long way to go with them, the manifolds will be interesting, they come forwards into the collector ring on early Hercules. Each will have to be scratch built, 14 in all on each engine, each with two ports and one exit. I believe I can get away with single ports when viewed from the front... we'll see! This is a process I call ELEPHANT CHUNKING. The theory is that if you cut an elephant into small enough chunks you can in fact consume an entire elephant over a long period. So do not expect fast progress at this stage!