Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Nocturna mors wrote:Hi John,
What a beauty 8-) 8-) You have really made a nice job of it. I am not familiar with Sanger models and after reviewing this thread, i can see they are not for the faint hearted.
The price of the kit is very affordable but, from what i have read on here, Sanger need to shape up!

That said, what a fine addition to your collection. I am very impressed with this build!..........well done! ;)
Keep that up and I'll have to find you a promotion ! Thanks all the same.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stu B
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Stu B »

Dave_Richardson wrote:
I don't know if this photo will help with the colours? The front of the engine cowling seems to have taken on 2 colours and the undecarraige seems to be black with steel bits and chips (note my excllent grasp of the technical details!)

Dave

I believe the lighter ring around the lip of the starboard inner Hercules is an armoured ring. It was actually spaced off from the exhaust collector ring, not part of it. You see them occasionally fitted in 1940, more commonly later on. Their installation coincides with the introduction of cable-cutter devices built into wing leading edges. I assume the hollow, welded exhaust collectors at the front of the engine cowlings were judged to be vulnerable to damage from balloon cables. They seem to have been provided as part of the power egg by the Bristol factory, as aircraft are sometimes seen without them fitted to all engines - presumably after an engine change.

I can't prove it, but I suspect that the armoured ring was eventually built into the front of the exhaust collectors, to improve streamlining and lower drag. Some machines have a very prominent lighter ring at the front of a cowling, which is nevertheless flush with the high temperature alloy section (the rusty brown section).

If anyone is in doubt as to the dangers presented by balloon cables there is a picture (pg 28) in the Ian Allen book on the Handley Page Hampden of Guy Gibson's machine on its return from Hamburg. It has a thin, German balloon cable wound tightly around its propeller shaft.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks for your thought there 'Stu B' and welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
JohnBenton
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by JohnBenton »

Hi All
I am a new member, and need to build one of the Sanger 1:48 scale Stirlings.

I attended the memorial for the victims/survivors of Operation Domesday. I took a built model of the Mark 3 by Airfix, and received a lot of interest.
I have now received a request to build a Sanger model. I have one already but we take any recommendations on how to build it.

Regards John Benton
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum John, I hope you enjoy your stay.

If you are looking to build a Sanger, please pay close attention to this thread ( I trust you already have ).
As you can see, it can be made but you will need to be inventive to say the least, have a strong will and know when to put it down, not throw it down.
Apart from that, it's a breeze! ( Ok, I lie :) )
Regards,
John

Footnote - Just yell out if we can assist along the way.
Mark Joyce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark Joyce »

That's one amazing build you did, John! I have heard that Sanger kits can be difficult but never would imagine they could be near impossible. You basically scratch-built most of the model and I can't express my admiration enough for your abilities and perseverance.

Cheers,

Mark