Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Short Stirling Sanger 1:48 scale Kit - Build

Post by halifax1 »

So, you have done it - thought you would of course! Well you can't say you were not warned but silk purses from sows ears and all that - I am sure that you will persevere. I suppose it is not unbuildable - just that a lot of surgery and replacement and innovation is required -and most of all stamina!

You might find (if you have not looked already) some of the scratch build site on the net useful. But it does appear that the Stirling is much more of a challenge than other Sanger "kits".
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great to see you back, David.
Yes, I trust the little knowledge of 'panel beating' will be beneficial. I've just purchased a length of bulsa wood to act a spline for the fuselage, thus giving strength for everything else to feed off ( wings, etc )
I will post photos over the next week or so.
Regards,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

OK, here is the bulsa wood, which I will cut out and fit into the fuselage. However, before i fit it, I will need to check out for the 'glass & turret' areas, along with allowing for the wings to fit tight into the frame / bulsa wood.

You will also find I purchased a new Dremel All Purpose Accessories kit ......... for cutting, grinding, sanding, etc. ( I was like a young lad in a toy shop )
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

The balsa spine is a good idea John - I wonder if to make the plastic parts a bit more sympathetic to being manipulated you might warm them gently as you fit them around the spine etc. Leave them in the sun?? :D But it is a pleasant 8 degrees here at the moment. And the sun is shining 8-) !
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

The biggest problem I see David, is that the plastic itself is very soft / flimsy and very thin on the edges where I would think that some strength is needed. This kit is much thinner / less rigid than a standard plastic model kit, say from Tamiya / Airfix but thanks for your tip and keep them coming.

With the plastic 'glass' ....... I'm going to leave as much of the base on as possible so i can get the best fix possible. Also, with the landing gear, I'm thinking of putting a slither of wood inside the top and bottom of the wings, so the legs can have a good fix. That way, I can drill and glue them in.( hoping to )

As you can see, I've cut out for most of the glass.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, I'm up to this stage, as listed. The fuselage with the bulsa wood spleen, is now drying overnight, along with the wings. I've tested the 'glass' panel to get the best possible fit.
Tomorrow, I hope primer up and 'bondo' the joins all along the fuselage.
John
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well, I am rather impressed - with your determination and the inventive way you are overcoming the various problems. There is discussion on other modelling sites about the new Revell Halifax - which after a very promising start now seems to be attracting criticism and also needs surgery! So maybe your Stirling 'aint so bad after all!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

halifax1 wrote:Well, I am rather impressed - with your determination and the inventive way you are overcoming the various problems. There is discussion on other modelling sites about the new Revell Halifax - which after a very promising start now seems to be attracting criticism and also needs surgery! So maybe your Stirling 'aint so bad after all!
David, if your impressed, that's good enough for me ..... thanks! I really hope someone on this forum decides to do the Halifax 1:48 scale. As the forum is growing, we could really do with a 'Halibag'.
Cheers,
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, I think I'm being productive today, here are a few advances .........
( keep in mind - Car bog, spray putty and silicone are my new best friends! )
John
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I must say John, I am impressed with you inventiveness!!! Silicone and car putty! Well I never did... Really enjoying watching your progress, can't wait until after the New Year so I can crack on with mine! :D
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.