Building a 3D Digital Model of a Stirling

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
leedeetee
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Building a 3D Digital Model of a Stirling

Post by leedeetee »

Hello all,

Just signed up today and this is my first post, I have been doing a bit of reading on the Stirling Bomber and was directed here by a link on another website.

I am a designer and 3d modeller and in my spare time I like to model more interesting things than my 9-5 job designing education playscapes gives me the opportunity to do....

... Anyway, I think it would be wonderful to produce a 3d digital model of a Stirling Bomber. I'm sure some of you are aware of the story, but my grandfather always used to tell me stories about a Stirling crashing in the village he lived in, Tockwith, in 1945 which killed the crew and the one of his friends, the postmaster. It has always stuck with with me and here I find myself.

I've discovered that the aircraft involved was a LJ622, a converted Mk IV of 1665 the Heavy Conversion Unit which was based at RAF Marston Moor. I found some images of it on the-blueprints.com (here: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprint ... _stirling/) and hopefully they will be good enough to model from.

Anyway, just thought I'd post here and say hi, hope that;s OK.

I will keep you updated of my progress, should you find it interesting.

All the best,

Lee

P.s. I'm sorry If I've posted this in the wrong place, please feel free to delete/move. Thanks.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Building a 3D Digital Model of a Stirling

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum, great to have you onboard.
I / we, look forward to your progress on your Stirling aircraft and trust you will post some pictures along the way.

Also, thanks for the images, i will have a look soon.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Building a 3D Digital Model of a Stirling

Post by PAFG »

Lee - Welcome, looking forward to seeing more of this project!

cheers,

Richard