Why Build Models?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Why Build Models?

Post by halifax1 »

You know John one good thing about "plastic models" is that patience and considerable skill is not by any means essential. And neither is the attention to detail.

A very acceptable model can be produced without lots of added detail.

With me it is a generation thing. When I first started modelling, plastic kits were unheard of. Kits of wood did exist but frankly were hardly worth the bother. They were one step from scratch building. And I got a lot of pleasure from - of necessity - fashioning almost everything myself. And still do, and if I am truthful I find the plastic kit makes me feel I am a plagiarist! I am just putting together someone else's effort! Actually I am not because there is a lot in the assembling and finishing - where the real skills emerge. I am just old fashioned. I nourish my need by adding detail. Frequently however I find then that when it comes to the more basic stuff I have lost interest a bit.

So don't worry about the "patience" thing - or adding detail - do it exactly as pleases you and in all probability as you go along you will find you are being more "detail" minded. Not trying to push you into it of course - just a little nudge?
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

When i am masking etc on my lowly 72nd scale models i tend to use the Tamiya masking tape, and some wonderful low tack clear plastic called Frisk Film, brilliant stuff!!
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

schrage musik wrote:When i am masking etc on my lowly 72nd scale models i tend to use the Tamiya masking tape, and some wonderful low tack clear plastic called Frisk Film, brilliant stuff!!
Ah - yes had forgotten that - great stuff - thank you for the reminder.
schrage musik
Corporal
Corporal

Post by schrage musik »

[quote="halifax1Ah - yes had forgotten that - great stuff - thank you for the reminder.[/quote]

no problem, guess thats what we are here for!!! :D
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Don't stir him up too much Ben, he'll only get excited and come out of hibernation too early. :(
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

schrage musik wrote:[quote="halifax1Ah - yes had forgotten that - great stuff - thank you for the reminder.

no problem, guess thats what we are here for!!! :D[/quote]

Well, most, anyway.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max, just wanted to see how the Sanger Oxford is working out. Any pics?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K4KittyCrew wrote:Max, just wanted to see how the Sanger Oxford is working out. Any pics?
John
Morning John,
The Oxford hasn't seen the light of day for a while but it's coming along quite well. I've got a day at home today, AND it's raining so I've got the luxury of a relaxed modelling day! I'll take some photographs and add them later. I also took lots of useful reference photos of the museum's Oxford when I visited Hendon last May. I'll be adding some pics of the Bf110 later too.
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Oh dear ..... just when you thought it was safe to view the forum.... he surfaces!!! So Piltdown, old fellow how are you? Showing me up by doing some building I see. Can you tell me what you are on please?

Norfolk. (As in Lord)
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Oh dear ..... just when you thought it was safe to view the forum.... he surfaces!!! So Piltdown, old fellow how are you? Showing me up by doing some building I see. Can you tell me what you are on please?

Norfolk. (As in Lord)
Oh dear, I've been doing my best to forget you, you're like a recurring nightmare that keeps playing even when you're awake. Look your Lordship, I know that interbreeding has weakened the physical and mental capacity of the aristocracy (to which you obviously pretend and aspire), but if you'd had the tiny bit of insight required to look at the adjacent thread today, you may just have noticed an update to the Bf110E. Guess who made the update cos that's what he's working on!!! (Answers on a postcard please to: Norfolk Numpty, c/o Flatlands House, Idiotstown, E Anglia.)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk