Why Build Models?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Why Build Models?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Gotta love the banter between you two chaps ................................ also love that Stirling, David. A very fine effort, the weathering around the engine cowlings looks ever so real.
Have I told you that I wear several sets of glasses, at the same time?
Seriously though, a fine effort.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Goodness I have only been playing here for a very short time and you are all picking on me. It really is not fair.

But seriously I do think it a jolly good idea that old Piltdown is going to do a step by step model build. It is remarkable how building a model greatly increases ones knowledge of an aircraft - even if you only casually research the subject, although research tends to feed on itself and you rarely know when to stop. So I hope that as many as possible have a go - kits are not too expensive - the "tools' rudimentary and the amount of detail you add is optional. Max does know a thing or two, and should be able to communicate his skills admirably. HoweverI will watch the topic closely and intervene if I feel appropriate.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max,

If my memory serves me correct ( many times it doesn't) ................. did you not recently construct a Stirling? Thought we members could do a 'compare' to Halifaxes (David) efforts!
Sorry if I put you on the spot old boy .......... must be the youth in me.
Kitty
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:Max,

If my memory serves me correct ( many times it doesn't) ................. did you not recently construct a Stirling? Thought we members could do a 'compare' to Halifaxes (David) efforts!
Sorry if I put you on the spot old boy .......... must be the youth in me.
Kitty
Not quite yet John, I need to do a Stirling for my project but my chosen scale is 1/48th and the only way I can do one is using a Sanger vacuform kit, this is a whole new ball-game in modelling. I'm "cutting my teeth" right now on the Sanger Oxford - if that's anything like successful I'll feel ready for the challenge of the Stirling. The "best-in-show" model at the IPMS Natonals 2 years ago was a superb Sanger Stirling, I'll see if I can find any photos of it and post them. The problem with being young (er) is impetuosity, but you'll learn my boy!! ;)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Max,

you've just answered my next question .................... I was going to ask if a Stirling was available in a 1:48 scale? In truth, I have no idea what a 'Sanger vacform kit' is. Certainly look forward to any posting. Especially the Stirling. Wow!

Please accept my apologies whilst i take back that 'old boy' remark ............. even just for a little while ( David told me to say it, it wasn't me .......... truely ) We from 'down under' are easily mislead.
Wish i had a dollar for every garden path I've been up.

John
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I'm sure from your privileged rank and position Sir, you're allowed to call this lowly Sargeant anything you like! The great thing about rank is that you can spit on those below you, especially corporals called Parker. :lol:

Here's a couple of quick shots I found of the 2008 Stirling Gold Medal winner at the IPMS Nationals. I'll try to find some better ones but these will have to do for the moment.

Vacuform John is where the "kit" comes as a flat piece of polystyrene with sections formed, often pretty crudely, using a vacuum process. So the first critical task is the cut all the pieces out and trim to shape - not as easy as it sounds and it takes a long long time. Here's a few early shots of my Oxford:

www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

That really is a great looking Stirling, thanks Max.
Vacuform John is where the "kit" comes as a flat piece of polystyrene with sections formed, often pretty crudely, using a vacuum process. So the first critical task is the cut all the pieces out and trim to shape - not as easy as it sounds and it takes a long long time.
I must say it does look like tedious work, Where the section is pressed ( leading edge), must make for accurate cutting by the model maker. I guess the effort required to make this type of model must give the 'maker' even greater sense of reward.

Max, if the Stirling is like the Lanc , available in 1:48 scale, BUT only in a vacform format, then I dare say I will have to make one, being that my father flew in both and having just got the Lanc this week, you now have my interest in this form.

Just wouldn't be cricket to have them side by side, in different scales. I wonder............. if things get tough, I could use Selleys 'No More Gaps' in the making ........... seems to have saved my bacon in the building game, ha!

John
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

K for Kitty Crew wrote:Just wouldn't be cricket to have them side by side, in different scales. I wonder............. if things get tough, I could use Selleys 'No More Gaps' in the making ........... seems to have saved my bacon in the building game, ha!

John
That's very brave of you to mention "CRICKET" under the present circumstances John! :lol: :lol:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

John, I will send some one round to speak to Max - that remark about Cricket was below the belt.

How is the Lancaster going - any pictures?
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by kookabat »

Someone said it's just bad luck that the worst Australian side in 30 years happened to meet the best English side in 30 years.

Someone else said that the joke's really on England - they've now got to spend a whole day in Adelaide! :)

On topic - I have not the patience to get into models of this level of detail. I do enjoy looking at others' finished products though!

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com