Men of Air: The Doomed Youth of Bomber Command

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Men of Air: The Doomed Youth of Bomber Command

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi folks,

Just wanted to acknowledge what a fantastic read "Men of Air: The Doomed Youth of Bomber Command" ( by Kevin Wilson ) is. I'm about a third of the way through it and struggle to put it down. This book covers many interviews with ex crew members and so far, has given a very in depth account of the Berlin Raids of early 1944. It is mind-boggling what these chaps endured.

I will comment further as i read through it ...............
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Men of Air: The Doomed Youth of Bomber Command

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Quote from chapter 6, 'Berlin or Bust' - page 109 ............ Arrival at Ludford Magna - 101 Sqn.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

On operations, off operations, back on again ........
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

As I continue reading this book, I'm finding that I keep folding over the tops of pages that I want to comment on .......... problem is, every second or third page is now folded over!
John
Anyway, here are some more points of interest.

# The RAF peaked in personnel of 1,185,833

# Approximately 10% of aircrew were killed in training units before reaching being posted to an operational squadron.

# Approximately May 1944, many crews who arrived at their new bases found the station littered with older aircraft which were ex operational and in poor condition. Many were early model Halifaxes.

# One account that so many of these aircraft swung off on nearing take off may be attributed to these comments from F/lt Peter Johnson & Sgt Jim Lord, ( pilot ).
"Tyre slippage beyond allowable creep marks / tyre wear causing tyres to explode. Engine coolant leaks causing engines to fail .............. combined with doing 'circuits and bumps' which meant that flying around 1000ft, engine failure usually meant not being able to parachute out and crashing the aircraft"

Of course, we all know about the problems with the Stirling twin rear wheels oscillating, causing the aircraft to swing to port or starboard as it picked up speed - ( this incident is well documented here on the forum by Dennis Over RAF, rear gunner )

S/Ldr Carter ( navigator )from 35 Sqn was in a Halifax at about 23,000ft when his aircraft was attack. He bailed out threw a bomber stream of approximately 800 aircraft ! How he or his chute was not clipped by another aircraft is amazing.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi John,

A great read and a book that opens up a whole set of questions !!!

I have always had a soft spot for the Halifax's of No.4 Group and their crews. The debacle of the Berlin campaign hit the crews of No.4 and 6 RCAF crew grievously and I remember reading at the NA a report stating that moral on some squadrons was critically low due to operational losses and unreliability of the Merlin equipped Mk.II and V series. I am sure Richard our Berlin expert will correct me and expand on the problems encountered. With the withdrawal of the Stirling’s of No.3 Group the poor Halifax’s crews of No.4 & 6 Groups found themselves at the receiving end, this quickly and clearly highlighted the operational weakness of the Merlin Halifax, was left to the brave young crews to carry on with what they had, an inferior aircraft, a target too distant, foul weather and an inability to destroy a target well beyond the capability of Bomber Command at that time.
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Here is a remarkable photo from the book.
John
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well, I've finally finished what I regard as one of the best books I've read, so much so, I would class it as the best account of aircrew and their operations. Overall, the book focuses on mainly 1944, covering the Berlin raids there on. It would be fair to say that this book has more comments from aircrew about their own accounts than of any other book I have read to date.

If you only ever read one book about Bomber Command an it's aircrew, then this is the book.
I will finish with a page from the end of the book that pretty much sums how many people, including myself think of Harris, Churchill and of the governments, since the wars end.
Cheers,
John
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

I have the paperback copy this book and I found it hard going because it was full of grammatical typos, words running into each other, which made it difficult to read. I'll have to seek out a hardback and give it another go.

Dave
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Dave,
I must say that in reading the paperback copy that I have, there seems no problems ................ or maybe I'm illiterate!
Cheers,
John