The 3 Best Books I've Read..........

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

The 3 Best Books I've Read..........

Post by K4KittyCrew »

The first two books are a fascinating insight as to how both sides operated.

No : 1 - Bomber Harris - His Life & Times by Henry Probert ( ISBN 1-85367-473-7 )

A very rewarding experience to read the times of Sir Arthur Harris. A detailed and frank summary of the man. Harris for many years, copped the blame for a number of issues, this paints the seemly true picture of what really happened and who, in truth was responsible for such decisions. He in fact ( unlike some another major player in WW2 ) never gave up on his crew members and continued to fight for their rights up until his death. Personally, my only criticism of Harris was that he eventually backed down to Churchill and took an honour instead of standing on his belief, that his crew members warranted a medal / acknowledgement, for their service and that he would not accept any decoration until they did as well.

No : 2 - Inside The Third Reich - Memoirs by Albert Speer ( SBN 297 00012 2 )

Apart from Hitlar, there is probably no other person who knew so much / had such control within the Nazi regime than Albert Speer. Just like Harris, Speer was always having to justify himself and continue to look at ways on how he and or Germany, could win the war. This book really is a great read. I struggled to put it down and found myself reading to all hours of the night, day after day.

No : 3 - One Way Flight - Memoirs of a 460 Squadron (RAAF) Navigator - Assheton F. Taylor ( ISBN 1-876439-37-8 )

This book starts off in a typical crew members coming together through training, then placement into a squadron, on operations flying a Lancaster shot down over Munich and taken PoW.
Then the book really comes into it's own. The second half of the book is a complete eye opener. Very sad at times and very rewarding for the reader, to be able to acknowledge what really happened as the war came to an end. This really is a MUST READ story.

John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: The 3 Best Books I've Read..........

Post by smudgersmith218 »

No : 2 - Inside The Third Reich - Memoirs by Albert Speer ( SBN 297 00012 2 )

Apart from Hitlar, there is probably no other person who knew so much / had such control within the Nazi regime than Albert Speer. Just like Harris, Speer was always having to justify himself and continue to look at ways on how he and or Germany, could win the war. This book really is a great read. I struggled to put it down and found myself reading to all hours of the night, day after day.

John,

I have this book on order, :shock: its good to see that my money is well spent. ;)
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: The 3 Best Books I've Read..........

Post by ME453 »

I'd agree Albert Speer's book is a very good read and gives a unique insight into the power centre of the wartime Nazi regime. The first part I found quite hard going about his training and early career as an architect and in thruth it had very little relevance to the main part of the book other than emphasising the way inwhich Hitler vacillated between those who were part of the inner circle or not, depending on circumstances at the time.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron