Various AP Publications

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Various AP Publications

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Came across this site which looks interesting:

http://rafgen.iconosites.com/page/home/

It's run by a chap called Mark Chandler and has some Air Publications for sale as pdf's on cd roms including:
AP1275 Instrument Manual
AP1259 The 'Q' Code
AP3024 Flying Control in the RAF
AP3231 Airborne Forces

There are brief examples of each to view on the website.

Anyone bought one?

Dave
keevil299
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Various AP Publications

Post by keevil299 »

Hello Dave,
Very many thanks for taking the time to locate my website, have a look at it and then post the link on the forum.
It is also kind of you to draw attention to some items I have on sale within the site, and if it is in order to do this, I will, of course, offer a discount to any forum member who wishes to purchase something.
Although there are some sales pages on the site, it's main objective is Remembrance of all who served and/or died in Bomber Command. The sales items are some attempt to defray the cost of ongoing research, as, like many, I do not have gainful employment at the moment.
If I can, perhaps I could say a few words about myself by way of introduction? Although, having said that, there is a page on the website; 'Welcome &The Story So Far' which more or less says it all.
Have been actively researching and seeing or corresponding with Veterans - not exclusively BC - for forty-odd years now, and have managed in that time to get quite a bit of as yet unseen material around me of all types.
Of late, have met quite a number of much younger people who also have a passionate interest in the subject, but will never be able to talk to and be helped by the Veterans as it has been my good fortune to have done. I will help these younger types all I can, but then thought that a website may be a better way of disseminating some of this gen to a wider audience, so to speak.
I then thought that if I began to put some of this material onto CDs - starting with APs, etc - it may be of some assistance to those interested, and also would help to gauge what type of things people were looking for. So far, this has not been a conclusive exercise!
I will continue to add material to the site, and I would be grateful to any forum member who would care to take a look at it. I do have some Stirling material - including 38 Group - and my user name reflects my friendship with the late Wally Simpson, an Air Gunner of 299 Squadron, Keevil, who won an MM for his Arnhem evasion. He was a much-respected friend, and his story is quite well-known.
Wally was quite a character, and, as a long-time member of the St. John's Ambulance Brigade, was far more proud of his Serving Brother of the Order of St. John medal than he was of his MM. Add to this the fact that it takes precedence over the MM and is worn first and led to his total exasperation at having to repeatedly explain this to people who told him he had his medals up incorrectly! I often think of him and miss him still - also many others encountered down the years who are no longer with us.
Sorry to have gone on so, Dave - many thanks again.
Mark Chandler
In Memory of 1577790, Sgt. Allan James, RAFVR; Navigator, No. 149 (East India) Squadron, Lakenheath.
Lost, 21st-22nd May 1943; Stirling III, BF510; OJ-P, Gironde Estuary. His first operation.
Runnymede. Panel 154.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Welcome to the forum, Mark .................... The name sounds very familiar. Have we spoken on another forum in the past?
Anyway, enjoy your time here, we are building a quality database of everything Stirling & Bomber Command related, as a whole.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
keevil299
Corporal
Corporal

Post by keevil299 »

Hello John,

Many thanks for your welcome and I certainly will enjoy any time spent on the forum.
I can't recall us ever having previous contact, but nothing is impossible - which other forums were you thinking we had spoken on?
The only others I have ever posted on as I can recall are: the Airfield Information Exchange, The Fedora Lounge, the Great War Forum and a French one, dealing with uniforms, etc.
Is it any of those?

Kind Regards,
Mark.
In Memory of 1577790, Sgt. Allan James, RAFVR; Navigator, No. 149 (East India) Squadron, Lakenheath.
Lost, 21st-22nd May 1943; Stirling III, BF510; OJ-P, Gironde Estuary. His first operation.
Runnymede. Panel 154.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Mark,

Sorry for my poor memory but being that I've spoken to many on forums over the years. I must have got you mixed up with someone, possibly from the LAF .......... anyway, good to have to you onboard!

Although we don't allow members to conduct sales & marketing of products on the forum, we do allow members to make note of their services, so that other members can access you to enquire about your publications, here on this topic.

For further details relating to AP publications, Please contact Mark, memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5221

.......... so that all business is conducted off site, otherwise, as I'm sure you can appreciate, we would be inundated with such requests.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
keevil299
Corporal
Corporal

Post by keevil299 »

Hello John,
I did think it may have been the Fedora Lounge thread about Irvin jackets in June 2011 - I was talking to an Australian lad back then, but I checked and it is not you. As you say, one speaks to so many people over time.
Of course, I quite understand that the forum is not the place to conduct business - I was Googling something to do with Bomber Command and it brought up Dave Richardson's post re. my site and I just had to investigate! When I saw what he had posted, I joined, firstly to thank him, and then to make what contribution I can.
Very many thanks for posting a contact link for me - it is much appreciated, and I will endeavour to assist as best I can any forum member that contacts me via it.
Many Thanks for your guidance, John,
Mark.
Runnymede. Panel 154.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Welcome Mark, hope you find the site interesting. To answer Dave's original question - I bought the AP3024 DVD and it's excellent. I had photographed the copy held in the National Archives, but of all the stuff I have the photos are the poorest and also the Archive copy is difficult to decipher as it's undated and has whole wedges of undated amendments. The DVD copy is very clear and the diagrams (which are occasionally quite complex) zoom very well too. AAA+++ from me :D

Cheers,

Richard
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Dave,

Have to agree with Richard on that, would strongly recommend AP2034.

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads