Journey Together DVD

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
Upkeep
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Journey Together DVD

Post by Upkeep »

I've seen this DVD several times on websites and museum shelves, and I've been attracted to buy it because it has a photo of a Lanc on the front and the content sounded of interest, but always put off because it also has a big picture of Edward G Robinson on it, and that pretty much convinced me it was going to be naff.

Anyway, in a weak moment I bought it, and I have to say it is much (much) better than I expected. Apart from Edward G, it was made and acted entiredly by personnel from the RAF Film unit, which fortunately included one Richard Attenborough and a number of other familiar faces. It follows the fortunes of a bunch of chaps who have volunteered for aircrew, all hoping to be pilots of course, but for various reasons ending up in other bomber crew roles. It follows them from basic training, through training in the UK, USA (which is where Mr Robinson comes in, as a flight instructor) and Canada, and then finally onto ops with a squadron.

Although it's presented as an entertaining drama, it's also a pretty good historical documentary. Apart from anything else, it has the best (and I suspect most accurate) depiction of ditching and dinghy procedure I have ever seen. And even Eddie doesn't do too badly.

You should be able to pick it up for a fiver or thereabouts. Well worth it in my opinion.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Journey Together DVD

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks Upkeep, will keep a lookout for it.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"