SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON

Post by flyingpigsteve »

Hi everyone,

I would just like to let everyone know that my book "SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON" has now been published and is available in paperback and kindle download if anyone is interested. Below is the link to the Amazon Book Store if anyone would like to have a look.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1782194215/ref=tsm_1_fb_lk

Many thanks

Steve Holmes

196 SQUADRON HISTORIAN AND RESEARCHER
196 SQUADRON HISTORIAN AND RESEARCHER
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON

Post by GuyMassey »

Just finished my last book so have ordered a copy.... can you sign my e-reader? lol
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

I have just finished reading this book, and although there are some real bloopers in the text which were pretty cringeworthy, I did quite enjoy it. It certainly filled the author's mission statement that it should be read as a novel and have a start beginning and end, although to class it as a true story a bit strong because a large element is supposition or imagination.... crewless Horsa's released over the Channel to confuse the enemy, 9,000 aircraft raids, parachutists exiting the bomb-bay and even a rear gunner conversing with a crew-member face to face, whilst in action! (did they take the turret doors off?) Even so, it was entertaining and because Sherlock's crew mimicked my father's postings with 299 squadron and flew all the same operations it made it all the better. I especially appreciated the pictures of the crew at Keevil and the effort that went in to finding out what happened to them all at war's end.
So it's a book, based on a true story, to be read as an entertaining, light read, not to be taken as fact. With that in mind it succeeded. Not one for historians though I fear but great to have a book about a Stirling squadron.
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

I'm part way through the book but I agree with everything that Guy has said. Unfortunately, for me the historical and technical inaccuracies spoiled it - I can't see the point of writing a book which in many places is so well researched but so blatantly wrong, even imaginary, in others. I used to live near Keevil so found this section quite interesting too but I'm afraid that I won't be adding this one to my library of aviation books.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

I have just completed the book. Initially disappointed I had originally been under the misapprehension it was a detailed and factual account of the crew and No.196 Squadron. It soon become apparent it was more "fact-tion", once I had accepted this I enjoyed it. In places it made me laugh out loud, the other half wondered what I had to laugh about in the WC !! I do hope that was the intention of the book in places!!! Yes it was littered with some real bloopers and I was at times confussed between fact and fiction but it enjoyed it nevertheless.

Was the skipper really like that ??????

Smudger
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads