Bomber Boys

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
a1emslie
Corporal
Corporal

Bomber Boys

Post by a1emslie »

Dear Members,
I am hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction!
I was watching Bomber Boys with Ewan McGregor on the Yesterday Channel this week, and within the first minute, up popped footage of my father ( John Frederick Jenkins), giving a thumbs up as he got into a Lancaster . This was immediately followed by a clip of the pilot who became my parents' best man.
I would love to know where the original footage is held, as perhaps there is more!
The DVD is on order, but if any of you knowledgeable people know the answer to my query, it really would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Annabel Emslie.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Bomber Boys

Post by GuyMassey »

How fantastic!!! The odds against that happening must be pretty high. I always trawl through group period photographs as they are posted, just in case I see my dad or one of his crew. Sadly no luck so far.
I would think that the sources will be named in the credits when you receive the DVD. Meanwhile you could contact the IWM at Lambeth Rd London SE1 6HZ
020 7416 5000 who may be able to point you in the right direction.
Good luck and do tell us if you find any more footage!!!
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
a1emslie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by a1emslie »

Thanks so much! If the DVD doesn't arrive tomorrow I will contact them.
I suppose that like you, I have always kept an eye out for photographs etc, but this caught me by surprise as I had just answered the telephone.i was completely blown away.... He was the age that my children are now, and when I think of the bravery that he and his comrades displayed, I am inordinately proud, as you must be too.
I hope that you are successful in your hunt.
N for 'Nuts' was the Lancaster he was in most ( I believe).
Kind regards,
Annabel.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Annabel,
If your father was the same John Frederick Jenkins, who was with 156sqdn, he did no less than 76 operations, between 15th Feb 44 and 30th April 45. His pilot was Thomas William George Godfrey. I have a copy of the 156sqdn Operations Record Book if needed.
Alan
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
a1emslie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by a1emslie »

I can see that it is time to examine the log book again......!
a1emslie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by a1emslie »

Having double checked the log book, you are quite right Alan. Squadron Leader Godrey was the pilot until October when Squadron Leader Cochrane was pilot. I believe that the latter is the pilot in the clip, but I may not be correct, as in my parents' wedding photos , there are two men who look quite similar. Cochrane was the best man.
Presumably the operations record book provides much more information than the log book. If that is so, then I would love to obtain a copy if you can let me know the cost.
Many thanks,
Annabel.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Annabel,
No cost involved, i'll sort the ops out for you and send. Could you let me have your email address via a private message in my profile please.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

Hi Annabel,
You are right! I am immensely proud of my father's contribution to the war effort, as you must be.
I am lucky, my father survived the war and is still alive today. He served on Stirlings until the war's end and never set foot in a Lancaster!
I have recently claimed his Bomber Command Clasp for him, photographs of which are on this forum under "The Mess Inn"
I hope that you have applied for your dad's... 76 operations in so few months is astonishing!
Best wishes to you and yours.
Guy
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
a1emslie
Corporal
Corporal

Post by a1emslie »

Hi Guy,
How wonderful that your pa is alive and that you could give him the clasp. Yes, I have applied for my father's clasp recently, and hope to hear in due course.
We are lucky to be able to be so proud.
Best wishes,
Annabel.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi,
I have to ammend the number of ops flown by Annabel's father, with 156sqdn, as whoever (not me) compiled the list, made the mistake of adding the ops of another "Jenkins" with 156sqdn at the time. The revised list, after going through the ORB myself, is 31, with 156sqdn, but it appears that they did a previous tour of 30 with 10sqdn, so still an impressive 61 ops.