Glorious in Solitude 'Rear Gunners'

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Glorious in Solitude 'Rear Gunners'

Post by colinpateman »

Can I be so bold as to advise forum members of my new publication 'Glorious in Solitude' The Courage of Isolated Rear Gunners in the RAF during the Second World War. I wanted to create a book concentrating on the Rear Gunners of the Second World War which also looked at areas previously not covered by other authors. How these men suffered for such long periods of time behind their perspex turrets and how they survived. I am very proud of the content and the book sleeve fittingly created with consent of the sculptor who created the Bomber Command Memorial, the single air gunner sculpture fittingly creating the feel of my book. http://www.colinpateman.com/books/ Thank you for looking and I look forward to any comments.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Glorious in Solitude 'Rear Gunners'

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Many thanks mate for taking the time to put together a book on gunners in general. I haven't had the opportunity to read through it as yet but I will.

My father was a rear gunner and even though they wouldn't tell you, the temperature would get down to under 40- degrees.
They would have icicles on their facial hair and if they were lucky enough to spot an enemy aircraft from a distance, the truth is that the enemy could fire at them before they could have any hope of hitting them.

From many comments I've heard from rear gunners and alike, they only fired in anger when they were absolutely pushed to do so.
Many a time they would let an enemy aircraft flew on past in hope of them not seeing the RAF aircraft.
It indeed worked for many a crew, many of a time.

Keep in mind that a Luftwaffe night fighter would pass a bomber at probably twice the speed, so it all happened at a blink of an eye.
I know my father had several interactions with the enemy aircraft, more so during daylight operations in mid to later 1944.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
colinpateman

Post by colinpateman »

Thanks John. This is my dedication in the book: Glorious in Solitude is a tribute to the many thousands of ‘Air Gunners’ who served in isolated vulnerability within ‘Rear Gunner’ turrets during the Second World War. Amongst others, the hardships and bravery of fifteen individual Air Gunners’ is examined in this book. The author’s calculations from their flying log books indicate that those fifteen men endured an estimated 2,750 hours in their gunner turrets, whilst engaged in some 416 operational intrusions over enemy occupied territory. The following words from Air Chief Marshall, Sir Arthur Harris, Commander in Chief Bomber Command written in 1947 - epitomises the role of the ‘Rear Gunner’.
"There are no words with which I can do justice to the air-crew who fought under my command. There is no parallel in warfare to such courage and determination in the face of danger over so prolonged a period of danger which at times was so great that scarcely one man in three could expect to survive his tour of thirty operations..... It was, furthermore, the courage of the small hours, of men virtually alone, for at his battle station the airman is virtually alone”.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Excellent Colin.
Be sure to list the book in the 'book section' with a cover image, book identification numbers and a short summary.
Cheers,
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
colinpateman

Post by colinpateman »

John.

My site link on first post provides a direct link for the book...........first feedback has been very pleasing and the Bomber Command Memorial book cover has been exceptionally well received.
1653 HCU
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 1653 HCU »

My Dad was a rear gunner and saw Ops with 514 Sqdn. Your book is a great tribute to those brave young men.

Looks like the book would make a great Xmas present for Dad.

Mal
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Mal, thought I'd put this thread back up in case you hadn't seen it before...................... there are a couple of good 'mid upper turret' images on show.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1312&hilit=not+your ... t=20#p9493
PS - If you have any images of your father from Bomber Command, we would like to see them and can assist with posting them.
Cheers,
John
colinpateman

Post by colinpateman »

I am delighted to be able to add that Mal has supplied this quick review of my book which I am proudly adding to my post.

I've read about half of the book so far and it is excellent, giving a great insight into the lives of
air gunners.The photos are also superb. I intend to show my Dad the book as it will
bring back great memories for him. Thank you for writing this important book.

Mal
THANK YOU MAL.........Colin.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

When you combine interaction between members, add factual data from ww2 crews, not to mention time specific photos and it an all make for a wonderful read.
Todate, I haven't read the book but I am always keen to hear comments from members, conversing on Bomber Command operational crews and operations.
John
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Colin, your book looks very interesting indeed and well worth a read, have you included anything about the training that air gunners went through?
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron