sherlocks squadron

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

sherlocks squadron

Post by flyingpigsteve »

I hope i am not out of line here but i would just like to tell everyone of the book i have just finished writing to be published soon. based on fact it is in a novel format, and is about my father, his crew and 196 squadron. Below is the synopsis on the back cover of the book

John Holmes was a schoolboy when World War Two broke out in 1939 but even then he knew his destiny lay in the skies. “Boy’s from these parts don’t join the RAF,” he was told on more than one occasion. But they were wrong.
After many months undergoing selection and training, he eventually made it into the air crew of 196 Squadron. It was there he embarked on a love affair with a Stirling Bomber, it was there he met up with his crew, his brothers in arms.
Steve Holmes inspirational, harrowing and at times humorous book charts the private and wartime exploits of his father John ‘Sherlock’ Holmes and that of his flight crew. Through many hours of research and contact with the living sons and daughters of ‘Sherlock’s Squadron’, has pulled together a unique and personal insight into the most brutal and devastating armed conflict in history. Not a book for the feint hearted, the author skilfully develops the real life characters within the pages of this book then without apology details the death and destruction of many of these heroic men.

Written in a novel format the actual events depicted on each page are true and the RAF air crew real. A little poetic licence used at times perhaps but each event verified and independently confirmed by the MOD, War Office, Bomber Command and preserved records of navigators and pilots log books of the time. A comprehensive and compelling account of world events between 1939-1945 from the eyes of a group of young RAF men from distant corners of the globe.
196 SQUADRON HISTORIAN AND RESEARCHER
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: sherlocks squadron

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Steve,

No problems in making this post about your father and book. If any members wish to purchase this book, please PM, Steve. Congratulations on your efforts to write the book, mate!
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by flyingpigsteve »

John,
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Although i joined the forum in 2009, I'm affraid i have not been on, owing to building my website and writing the book. It is now great to be able to keep up with everything going on. I have been in touch with Bruno a few times but didnt realise what i was missing on the forum. Hope to speak to you all much more in the coming weeks..

Regards

Steve
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi Steve,

I'm looking forward to read your book!
Kind regards.
;)

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by flyingpigsteve »

Bruno,
Soon as i get some prints, one is coming your way. having a small print done for myself, and have sent proposels off to publishers, and have had some good feedback. as soon as i get my personnel proofs back i will send you one. Hey maybe its not very good, or hey maybe its great, but whatever i did it for myself and 16 years of research so i am pleased, and thats all that counts
regards mate

steve :D
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi Steve,

...and it's about 38 Group so it will be great! 8-) :lol:
Thanks again.
Kind regards.
;)

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Post by Denonline »

Steve, sounds like a good read, to add to your dad's views I was also a schoolboy in 1939.

In Heston our home at the time, the war memorial & gardens stood at the junction of 3 roads. This was our daily gathering point.
I believe that the ambition of most of us at the time, were to become engine drivers or fireman.

One of our main pastimes being car type recognition. The onset of the Blitz however quickly changed my priorities, likewise those of many of my friends. We were all going to become Spitfire pilots. RAF. Heston became a spitfire training Base.We could hardly present ourselves at the guard room with the "Here I am put me to work attitude" :) .

I did the next best thing & volunteered myself as soon as I reached the minimum age of 17, looking forward to my pilot training. With the utmost co-operation (Do as you are told), I found myself airborne. There had been a few adjustments to my ambition, I inisfhed up with half a wing and only managed to fly backwards in the rear turret of a Lanc.

Dennis
Merlin
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Merlin »

Hi Steve

congratulations on achieving your goal to record your father's career in the airforce. Dennis I guess many youngsters dreamed of becoming a spitfire pilot; but we all owe so much to the 'MANY', who gave their youth in fighting for our freedom. I cannot imagine spending as many hours as you did in the confines of a turret. I don't even like sitting with my back to the driver in a train or bus.......

with kind regards
Merlin
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looking forward to reading this Steve - well done you for getting it published!

Cheers,

Richard
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by flyingpigsteve »

Hi everyone,
I have now copies of SHERLOCKS SQUADRON, my book written about my father in 196 SQUADRON. Anyone wanting a copy can contact me on email at :- flyingpigsteve@yahoo.co.uk Price £7.99. These are books i have had printed myself and am at the moment in the process of getting a publisher. Also the website (which is far from finished) can be seen at :- www.sherlockssquadron.com

All the best to everyone

Steve