New Book - We Wage War By Night by Howard Sandall

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

New Book - We Wage War By Night by Howard Sandall

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Folks,

Whilst doing a bit of homework for the site, I came across a great site on 622 Squadron and had the pleasure of speaking ( via email ) to Howard Sandall. Howard has allowed me to post some photos and details, which I will put forward soon.

Howard has also written a book ( see details below ) and even though it has not been launched as yet, i would like to make members aware of it with the launch date as listed.
John
Part of the email Howard wrote to me .............
.................. You may be aware that I am the 622 Squadron Historian and my book includes several Stirling crew accounts. It is due for release in late September and I will be attending a book launch at the Duxford air show on 16th October along with a few 622 vets to sign copies and donate proceeds to the Bomber Command Memorial Appeal. I have attached some details of my book .......

Regards
Howard Sandall
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: New Book - We Wage War By Night by Howard Sandall

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi John,

Looks like the changed the look of the book, re- my post a few week ago. !!

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Seems to be a tad expensive, or am I out of touch with prices?
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Steve, sorry mate, I follow so many post, the memory is lacking at times. I'll merge them soon, Cheers.

Dave, I can only vouch for the cost of Bomber Command books here in Oz ........... which I must say, when trying to purchase any type of second hand BC book, they are frightfully expensive. Some are in shocking condition yet they want top dollar for them.

There was a 218 Squadron book that I was going to buy, just to post some pictures and pass on some details to 'Smudger' but they wanted $45.00 for a very small, older type book that wasn't real big in quantity, as well and at the end of the day, the shop bought it for nicks from the local library ............ so, I thinking that being a new book, where the author who has invested their time in it, at least get's the reward. In this book listed on the post, the proceeds are going to the BC Memorial appeal. Anyway, just my two bobs worth.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

John

I'm from Yorkshire, we have short arms and long pockets!!

I too have paid a premium price for second hand books, fortunately I've been able to get ones in good condition, so far. The point I was making was that this is a new book. The publishers website is quoting a price of £55, or $86 AUD. It may well come down a bit when it's published but I guess at the end of the day we'll end up paying higher prices for limited interest short run books.

Dave
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

Just received my copy of this masterly piece of work by Howard, I cannot begin to do justice to this book, it simply covers everything your want to know about 622, the photographs are truly staggering. Yes it is pricey but worth every penny in my humble opinion. ;) ;) ;)

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads