Ton Up Lancs

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Ton Up Lancs

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Ton-Up Lancs
Author: Norman Franks
Publisher: Bounty Books (15 Nov 2009)
ISBN-10: 0753717956
ISBN-13: 978-0753717950

Here's another "book shop bargain". It' s the latest updated version of a book that originally came out in 1995 as Claim to Fame - The Lancaster. The cover says it's a photographic history of 35 Lancasters that each completed 100 sorties but you also get a list of each mission and crew with photos of the aircraft and some of the crews. It also includes a brief write up on each aircraft and what happened to it. Surprisingly, for me anyway, one of the ton up lancs EE136, Spirit of Russia, ended it's days about two miles from where I live. In the early 1950's RAF Sutton on Hull (No.17 Balloon Centre during the war) was the home of the RAF School of Firefighting and Rescue and it seems that many WW2 aircraft incuding EE136 and some Spitfires ended their days being set on fire and put out by trainee firefighters. It was also the home of my Air Training Corps Squadron (152 City of Hull). I attended in the mid 1960's by which time the firefighting bods had moved on.

Dave
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Ton Up Lancs

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Dave said .......
............... was the home of the RAF School of Firefighting and Rescue and it seems that many WW2 aircraft incuding EE136 and some Spitfires ended their days being set on fire and put out by trainee firefighters .
I cannot believe that some people could be so shallow minded. What a waste! Is it any wonder that there are no Stirlings left! Talk about having their heads stuck in the sand.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

You only have to look at the case of Lancaster ED932, if there was one Lanc that warranted saving for future generations, it was this one. Yet it was scrapped without thought in 1947.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

If any of our members live near the 'Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village' near Ellesmere Port,
you can buy the book at a very reasonable price from one of the book shops.

Bob
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

Probably the same chain of stores I got mine from Bob. You need to go in regularly as the stock tends to change quite often, so it can be pot luck what they have in and not all branches get the same stock.

Dave
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Just seen some copies of this in bookshop on main A6 road through Bakewell last Monday at £4.99 (RRP £22?).... so worth a nip in if your are out exploring the Dark Peak Wreck sites... great for crew lists and I even have my copy with a few of the 101 veterans making their X against their entry.
Cheers Gary
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association