Operation Identification Challenge 99

Challenges may include WW2 Operations, Bomber Command & Luftwaffe Aircraft and Parts.
'Aircraft Identification Challenge' = AIC
'Operation Identification Challenge' = OIC
'Parts Identification Challenge' = PIC
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Operation Identification Challenge 99

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Ok Chaps,

This notable target was raided numerous times, however, on this occasion, the Pathfinders came up against cloud cover.

Can you name the target and most importantly, the date of this large operation.
Good Luck !
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Operation Identification Challenge 99

Post by AlanW »

I'll start off with Nuremburg, 19/20th Oct 44
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Well done, Alan - definitely Nuremburg. I'll go different on date though and suggest 30/31st March 1944...
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Mmmm, i think you're right with the date.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

AlanW wrote:Mmmm, i think you're right with the date.
I think otherwise gents, that would be too easy and that operation was after this one ............. the Pathfinders attempted to ground-mark the area but they were in most part, obscured by cloud .............
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

In that case, i'll go for 10/11th Aug 43.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Well done Alan, your Navigator is bang on again with the correct target and so is your pilot has done well to slide into the correct bomber stream for that given date.
I think Richard is still circling the target waiting for the correct date to come around!
Cheers,
John
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

...found we'd left the Nav at home by mistake - by the time we'd gone back to get 'im it was all over..
david layne
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by david layne »

My father was there too. Here is my account of his experience.

52nd operation 10th August 1943 NUREMBERG (GERMANY)

Take off time from Bourn 2145. Lancaster ED 866 P Crew: F/O Fletcher, Sgt. Nelson, F/Sgt. Dunn, Sgt. Beesley, F/Sgt. Layne, Sgt. White, Sgt. Coates.

A total of 653 heavy bombers were dispatched with 596 of them reporting that they had bombed the target. The Pathfinder Force planned to mark the target with ground markers but the heavy cloud cover obscured the markers from much of the attacking force. Despite the cloud cover extensive damage was experienced by the inhabitants of Nuremberg to both industrial and housing complexes. R.A.F. losses were reported as 16 aircraft, 2 of these being from 97 Squadron.

Wally and his crew mates were detailed to bomb Nuremberg with 1 x 4,000 lb. bomb, 5 x 500 lb. bombs, and 4 x 250 lb. markers. The route out was from Beachy Head to Le Treport and from there to the target. On arrival at Nuremberg the bomber crews found that the target was largely obscured by clouds. However the Fletcher crew attacked from 18,000 feet with 8/10th cloud being noted. The visibility above the clouds was good with a ½ moon. The crew bombed a T.I. marker that was in the bomb sights but was disappearing into the clouds as they were on their bombing run. A red explosion was seen at 0122 hours and nothing else was observed.

The German searchlights were unable to penetrate through the clouds which covered the target area, the crew reported that the moderate flak which they encountered over the target was largely ineffective. The return to base was made with a total flight time of 6.50 hours.
Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/