Vintage Stirling model E bay

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Vintage Stirling model E bay

Post by Nocturna mors »

A wooden period model of the Short Stirling Bomber. With a wingspan of 16 inches (40cms) I reckon it's about 1:72 scale. Proportionately quite good. Like the Sunderland I listed a few weeks ago, I have had this for some time with the intention of stripping and repainting it. The paintwork in particular is very worn and patchy in places.......but the overall Airframe shape is really very good. It has a few unusual features for such an elderly model, and was clearly built with some knowledge and care.....It includes perspex cockpit and turrets, and includes a metal (and reasonably accurate) undercarriage ! It also has cylinders on the radial engines. It could make a terrific piece if repainted.......but again, on balance I think it has a better "Feel" being left as it is !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-RAF-Short ... 3293wt_903

Me personally, i do not think this could rightfully be described as "trench art" as such, more like a wartime period {or later?} mass produced wooden kit. That said, It appears to be very well done though and has a real vintage look to it.

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Vintage Stirling model E bay

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Tom, how can I say this, nicely ................ it looks quite good from a distance.
With all due respect, I'm stunned by the dollars on it.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Just to let you know that I arrived at the opticians John :oops:
Source The Sun
Source The Sun
Oh dear.jpg (23.6 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
The Stirling model s awfully crude when viewed without the benefit of weekend beer goggles. A couple more and I would have bid on it. :)

Tom.
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Ludford101
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Ludford101 »

Well somebody did ...as it sold... :P

Gary
Motto :Mens agitat molem - 'Mind over matter'.

Welfare Secretary 101 Squadron Association