Another Sign Of The Times ............

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Another Sign Of The Times ............

Post by K4KittyCrew »

In todays' mail ............... How did we get to this stage of madness.
John
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urage.html
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Another Sign Of The Times ............

Post by R5868 »

You would think that they would make provision for at veterans and their families to be able to be at the dam. I suppose the area will be so full of film crews that there would be no more room.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
Upkeep
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by Upkeep »

I was there (I was one of the walking boots brigade) and wouldn't have missed it for anything. Far fewer people than the 65th anniversary, and it certainly wouldn't have been at all difficult to accommodate the veterans at the dam.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I sometimes think that this stance by he Health and Insanity brigade is to gain recognition for themselves, rather like I recall many years ago a local Councillor in London who campaigned for for a mini roundabout in a street where it was inappropriate according to most experts. He eventually succeeded however and then smugly claimed it would be a monument to him for ever. So somewhere is someone crowing that they "stopped" the Veterans attending a remembrance? It makes more sense that the health and safety aspect. Could you imagine the reaction if it were a football match so affected?
Theletterwriter
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Theletterwriter »

Usually when there is a strange decision such as this that the Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail or Daily Express readers can get worked up about, health and safety is blamed. More often than not ,the person who has taken the final decision either has not a clue about how to implement health and safety legislation or they fear litigation if something does goes wrong.

Douglas
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Certainly the litigation aspect is a big factor, Douglas, but this is a product of our "nanny society" and has been encouraged over the years by the ridiculous awards by the judiciary and the ambulance chasing lawyers. Sue for gain is now a common practice.
Theletterwriter

Post by Theletterwriter »

Absolutely, Halifax but that, with respect, has little if anything, to do with health and safety. We could go to the other extreme and get rid of health and safety legislation. Then watch the death rate rise in industry. Life is a risk and it is trying to strike the correct balance which a lot of people find difficult to achieve (assuming they have the skill to do so in the first place).

Douglas
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Yes - no problem with health and safety as such - it has always been around for as long as I can remember. I feel that today it is the implementation of it by some people who are not practical. I have always had some sympathy with them but in recent years have found it more difficult. In fact I have never done a risk assessment - wellI thought I had not. I mentioned this to an earnest young lady some time ago and she immediately began a lecture/explanation using a great deal of "jargon". When she had finished I did thank her but pointed out that now I had abetter understanding of what was involved in a risk assessment I realised I had been doing them mentally since I began to crawl!

But to return to the issue here, I do think that sometimes it would be constructive if the "authority concerned" could give their side of things, rather than by their silence encouraged folk to assume they are from another planet and are simply intent on obstructing pursuits (in the widest sense). The consequence is that people react against "health and safety" when in fact it is perfectly sensible to take heed of the same!