Bomber command memorial vandalised

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Bomber command memorial vandalised

Post by Nocturna mors »

Sadly, yet another sign of the times :(
War memorials in Green Park and Hyde Park have been daubed with the word Islam by vandals.
Police were called to the RAF Bomber Command War Memorial and found engravings on the monument covered with paint.
The same thing occurred at the Animals in War Memorial in Hyde Park.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/v ... 33794.html

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Bomber command memorial vandalised

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Tom, Unfortunately this will happen no doubt but if the powers that be make the penalty harsh, we can only hope that it will detract offers.
Wouldn't it be nice if our beloved politicians showed some backbone to act on such people, who have created such damage?
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Very regrettable - but as has been said - no real deterrent! However there is no deterrent to the "fanatics".

The culprits will almost certainly never be identified - even if they were seen! It is possible of course that they have no connection with Islam but could be people trying to cause unrest. There were also plenty in London when I lived there who loathed war memorials - glorified war etc. There were obscene demonstrations when Harris's Memorial was unveiled. Bomber Command has always been a popular target with the renegade liberals, so in a way I am surprised the Memorial has not suffered more.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

Chaps,
There is a picture of the suspected vandal published in the Telegraph.
Source The Telegraph newspaper
Source The Telegraph newspaper
Bomber-Command-cct_2576647b.jpg (53.25 KiB) Viewed 9113 times
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... alism.html

There are a few more pictures of the alleged culprit in The Sun newspaper

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... orial.html

Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
Bob Wilton
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Bob Wilton »

Let us all hope that they catch this sad individual who ever he is, and make him pay for
the damage he has done to a memorial to War Heroes.
Dicam ex animo. Sed nostri evocatis, ut debemus eis libertatem.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Like that will happen. Your get some left wing tree hugger labour voter telling us its his Human Rights to express himself. !!

Me, I would hang him from the nearest lamp column.

Country needs to grow a pair !!

Rant over !
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Steve, i fully agree with every word of your post. The once great British Bulldog, has lost it's teeth, and it's spine, after being chained by Europe's "human rights" policy, which seems to always favour the criminal, rather than the victim. The Aussie's have the right idea when it comes to people like this, they kick em out.
My rant over........... :x
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Nocturna mors »

As the hunt for the sick thug who daubed the monument with the word “Islam” continued, curators of the £7.5million Portland stone edifice said they had been “deeply touched” by the public response.
The RAF Benevolent Fund, the organisation charged with the upkeep of the memorial, are hopeful experts can remove all traces of the red spray paint used during the attack in the early hours of Bank Holiday Monday morning.
But restoring the stone to perfect condition could end up costing upwards of £10,000.

Demonstrating true spirit, appalled family members of those who served with Bomber Command have been in touch to offer their support and modest donations.
Anthony Ely-Johnston read about the shocking graffiti attack the day his father Anthony was shot down in 1942 in a Manchester bomber with 61st Squadron Bomber Command. He was just 21.
Mr Ely-Johnston, of Cambs., said: “All these young men died so that we could enjoy our today. For decades we haven’t had a memorial to the boys of Bomber Command, so for someone to do this in an instant...it’s just unspeakable.
“We have always shown respect for our dead in this country. I felt sick when I read about what had happened. You wouldn’t be able to print what I would do if I got my hands on the person responsible.”

Westminster City Council, which is responsible for the upkeep of that monument, in Park Lane, last night said it would pursue the vandal through the courts to recover cleaning costs, estimated at £7,500.
The council’s director for built environment, Rosemarie MacQueen, said: “The memorial is being cleaned but it is a big job and could take a few days as we have to be careful to preserve the stone – it is akin to cleaning a piece of art rather than just a high-pressure hose job.”

Anyone wanting to donate towards the cost of repairs can do so by visiting http://www.rafbf.org
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/404037 ... iti-attack

Tom
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Tom,

Thank you for the post. My only issue is that I wish the cost of repairing it would not disclosed. If these " people" know the cost implications then in their warped & twisted mind they will get a sense of satisfaction from knowing it costs "£10,000 ever time I do it hahah " I know this from bitter experience with one of my contracts, I carry out graffiti removal in Southwark. We have a number of memorials and historical building, the Globe, Tower Bridge etc etc. Each year just before Remembrance Day the war memorials would be targeted. There was at first a public outcry, the cost, the dishonour etc etc. It was in all the local papers. Graffiti went up 5 fold with the publicity.

It was then it decided no local media coverage, just low key, get it done quickly and efficiently. It worked, graffiti is no longer a issue in Southwark. I am not saying that this act of vandalism should not be brought to the general public’s attention, it should, but broadcasting the costs is simply asking for trouble. It may not be some immigrant Muslim head case on the social (thanks to Labour) in the future, but a just a disgruntled yob on drugs, a university student on a demo or some pot smoking liberal wanting to save the lesser spotted gay Cuckoo in the Himalayas!!
And if you do catch the culprits, they will get off!! :evil:

A real rant this morning !!

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Steve - you have set out the stall very well - and so colourfully. A pleasure to read from start to finish. Your point on revealing the costs is very significant.

Sometimes I have occasion to mix with some of these renegade liberals all left wing principles and right wing bank balances; and truly they are from another planet entirely. Some are passionately anti any war memorial and particularly the Bomber Command one. Nothing one can say can sway them from their convictions. If you put a point they do not like or which puts them in a corner they just ignore it and spout on with nonsensical jargon. Many are also control freak in all senses. It is interesting to read the Guardian report on the incident; not a word of condemnation. But of course the paper was full of sneering and inaccurate bias when the Memorial was completed.

In my dotage I am seeing, I believe, a slight change of direction by younger people, for the better, and do all I can to nurture it. In Norfolk we have instances where young people have cared for Memorials or helped deal with graffiti - one group I know entirely of their own initiative. Our local schools give time off to the pupils to join in welcoming the local troops home from Afghanistan.

The public response to the murder in Woolwich has been most pleasing but not in some respects surprising.

So yes - in total agreement with you - we have to have the same commitment as the fanatics who carry out any atrocity or abuse our culture and society and do what we can to encourage others to do likewise (but not of course use like methods)! I feel we could get our Country back - if we try hard enough. Have you noticed how all of a sudden it is permissible to discuss immigration?