Memories of RAAF Bomb Aimers in WW2

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
MOL69
Corporal
Corporal

Memories of RAAF Bomb Aimers in WW2

Post by MOL69 »

I am researching an Australian bomb aimer who was killed in France in June 1944. His name was Flt Sgt Stanley Kevin Black and he flew with No. 5 Group, 106 Squadron out of RAF Metheringham. He was one of the crew of Lancaster Flight NE150, he baled out with the navigator, but died a few days later. I really would like information from anyone that either knew him or anyone who could give me "first hand" knowledge of what it was like to be in his position. I also would like to make contact with the family of the members of his crew who were;

Pilot PO Merrick Warren Died 07/06/44
Navigator FO John Drylie Survived (Got back to UK 19/7/44)
Bomb Aimer Flt Sgt Stanley Black Died 11/06/44
Flt Eng.Sgt Corner Died 07/06/44
Wireless Op Sgt Norman Rooker Died 07/06/44
Gunner Sgt Wigham Died 07/06/44
Rear Gunner Sgt Puckett Died 07/06/44

I was told that Flight Officer Dryllie's son-in-law was enquiring after his war record and it would be great if I could contact him also.

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Liane
kookabat
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Re: Memories of RAAF Bomb Aimers in WW2

Post by kookabat »

G'day Liane,
I can't assist with any specifics but a good source of memories from Australian aircrew is the Australians at War Film Archive - see http://www.australiansatwarfilmarchive. ... earch.aspx - which was set up from interviews made in the early 2000s with surviving veterans. There are eleven transcripts there from bomb aimers.Use the dropdown menus: select World War II, then Bomber Command then Bomb Aimers, and click 'search' and they should all appear in a list for you.
The interviews cover their entire lives - from first memories through growing up, enlisting, training and operations and whatever happened next. They are quite long in places but well worth a read for an idea of what the times were like!

Adam
Remembering the crew of 467 Sqn Lancaster LM475 PO-B Jan-May 1944
www.somethingverybig.com
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Liane, good to see you found the forum. I still haven't received your email as yet but you are here and that is the main thing.
I will have a look and I'm sure the members can assist you too.
As Adam has mention, the Australian files are a great source of detail.
Talk soon,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Liane,

You may already have these details but I thought I would post them, anyway. The Bomb Aimers' position comes from the Avro Lancaster Walk thru link .......... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7636,d.dGI
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
MOL69
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MOL69 »

Thank you to all that have replied so far all information gratefully received.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Hello Liane,
Regarding your research, I assume you've read Black's casualty report and are aware of the unfortunate circumstances regarding his death?
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
MOL69
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MOL69 »

Hello Max

Yes, I live in the village where he died. The local mayor is an historian and published his tragic story in our parish magazine. I have since been trying to find out more about him and his crew. I went to 69th anniversary commemorations at the cemetary in Bayeux where he is buried and my family and I laid a poppy cross on his grave. I have tried without success to find a memorial plaque to the five crew who perished with the aircraft and were initially interred in St Jean de Daye. I do however have a copy of a photograph of their original resting place and will be contacting the mayor of the village to request that a plaque is erected in their memory. That is one of the reasons that I am trying to contact anyone who may have been related to the crew.

Regards

Liane
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Ah that's good Liane. It seems there was some initial confusion about the fate of P/O Warren but that was resolved eventually. If only Black had stayed undercover like Drylie instead of joining the American parachutists, he may well have survived the war.
Max

If you look on this thread viewtopic.php?f=25&t=424&start=40 you'll find a picture of the crew, but you may have already discovered this. I'm assuming the member of this forum called Pindas is Drylie's son-in-law in which case it should be easy to contact him.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
MOL69
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MOL69 »

Great News!! I have been given the go-ahead to create a memorial to the crew of NE150 who died in the early hours of 7th June 1944. Not so good news is the mayor is keen for it to be in place for the 70th anniversary commemorations, which doesn't give me much time!!

I would love to find any relatives of the crew who died. A wonderful ex RAAF serviceman contacted me through the bombercrew forum and with his help we tracked down the family of Stanley Black; his great-niece is now coming over to France for the re-dedication of a new memorial in Graignes, where he died 70 years ago and which will now feature his name. There will be a big ceremony in Graignes in Manche on Saturday 7th June at 17h00 at the memorial.

I'll keep you posted if there is to be an official unveiling of the memorial in St Jean de Daye ...

Liane
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

Liane: When I don't work I also live in Manche department so I'll be glad to help you.
Is there a possibility to create a provisional memorial?
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org