Getting old and grumpy, or rightfully hacked off....

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Getting old and grumpy, or rightfully hacked off....

Post by AlanW »

David,
Your point, about being surprised about the way things have changed here in the West Country (like London and the South East) is down to the fact, that the area has had such a large influx of "up country" people over the last thirty or so years, and they've brought their way of life with them, instead of slowing down to our pace. One thing that really rattles my cage, is that they seem to consider "effing and blinding" in front of women and young kids, a natural thing to do, :x Many years ago, Cornwall Council, had a policy of taking in "problem families" from other areas of the UK, i think they were getting approx £50,000 for each family taken. We now have some estates, that are "no go" areas, because they are literally full of these problem families, and the local kids, over the years, have learned from them. I can remember a time here in Camborne, (when i were young) when you were surprised to hear a dialect, other than Cornish, thats all disappeared now, and it's mostly London, Brummie or Mancunian
Any way, back to my original post. I relented, and re-posted my very long list of information, and sat back and awaited a response, and a thank you for my efforts. Two days and five visits by the person later.........NOTHING, NOWT, ZERO, ZILCH, Aaaargh :D
Cheers, me ansome :)
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hello,

Unfortunately most people don't think at least to say a little thank but AlanW I want again with all members to thank you for all the efforts you make to help us and visitors each days. I expect that you'll go on and you must know that us we read your posts and we thank you for each one.
It is an honour for us to have you on this board.
Keep up the good work!
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Bruno,
Thanks for your comments It's been a pleasure to have been a member of the site, which, of the ones i am a member of, has to be the most friendliest of them all. Although the site deals with the serious side of research, it also has it's lighter side, which includes a lot of humour, (something you don't get much of on other sites). I suppose i could say thanks to "that" other site, which i was exiled from, (for speaking my mind), otherwise, i would not have followed others across to this site. Looking forward to my 2000th post now........
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

No, I just think your a grumpy old sod :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note, Alan, just sent off for No.20 O.T.U from the NA, of any interest?

Steve

PS: Often referred to as a grumpy old sod !
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Steve,
So thats why i keep getting Birthday/Christmas presents with "grumpy" themes to them :lol:. Always looking to add to my ORB's. I've not added a lot to mine lately, but am awaiting arrival AIR14/3409, night raid reports for Oct 42 to Feb 43, if you have need for them, unless you have them already.
Alan.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by GuyMassey »

ME453 wrote:Yes David, I'm afraid it is a contemporary malaise......but there are a few pleasant and considerate people in the West Country!
I must agree with you, I live on the Devon Cornwall borders, and provided you remember to be courteous and cheerful yourself most locals will respond in kind. Even tourists from up the line are polite and friendly, albeit amazed by what a social lot we are down here!!! :D
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Norfolk is planning a UDI (for those to too young to remember Ian Smith and Rhodesia - now Zimbabwe) that is a Universal Declaration of Independence. We have one of the few RAF bases in the Country, a gas terminal and can do a deal with Lincolnshire for electricity, a number of crack Army Units and a restored MTB. Additionally we supply quite a substantial portion of the Country's crops and cereal . Thus if any of you intend visiting Norfolk in the near future you will need entry permits. However some of you may contact me direct and your application will be considered favourably.

The local tourist board has been disbanded because the promotion of Norfolk is not required. Those who imagine it is flat and simply fens are encouraged to promote that idea so that Oiks Dorset Neanderthals South East Low Life etc. will avoid us. However open season has now been declared from Jan 1st to 31st December.

The Oaf from Top Gear once remarked that Norfolk was the backside of England. The immediate response was "And of course you are just passing through".

Otherwise we are now the victims of renegade liberalism, hippy school teachers, indolent parents and left wing pseudo intellectual politicians, many with left wing principles and right wing bank balances who have eaten too much muesli and read nothing other than the Guardian. Australia of course still survives on the old traditions and values of the "Mother Country" . Hence most Australians will be most welcome.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Funnily enough David, and I speak the Gospel truth, I was looking at hotels and B&Bs in North Norfolk only this morning, Sheringham was one place I was considering for a visit next month on the BeeEm. Knowing your predisposition and "well founded prejudices", I doubt I'll be permitted entry now!!!?
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

Max, before you leave, you may need to go to the local War Surplus Supply Depot and pick up a set of machine guns from the front turret of a Lanc (they would be almost brand new) and mount them on the BM to get through the border checkpoints.
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

There could be many worthy targets for a set of .303s Kerry!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron