UK visit summer 2013

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Re: UK visit summer 2013

Post by ME453 »

Wonderful stuff Neale, look forward to more when the technology allows. I must start saving for next year!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Thanks for the comments.
Alan that is what I meant by terrifying, the mere thought of doing hours at night in the freezing cold, dark and having all those trying to stop you doing your job and getting home safely, its just amazing. Another thought for the many...

They let me through customs even with the smile. And the more I think of the trip the more I smile. (Sorry not bragging , just reflecting).
In this one trip I have managed to see all 3 running Lancs, been in 2, seen BBMF fly over 3 times in the UK been to BBMF hangar, 2 visits to EK and Petwood 57/630 Sqn Assoc. dinner and memorial day at EK. RAF Waddington airshow, Duxford Flying Legends, Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden and flown in VRA... Going to be very hard pressed to top this trip.

There were 2 guys from Perth (WA) on the 2nd VRA flight and one was the Bull Creek Museum manager and they took a flight in the B25 after the Lanc (see their site for blog posts)...
Maybe the next trip in Aus will be to Perth, What do you think Adam ??
"There's No Future In It" by C.Wade Rodgers ex RAAF - 630 Sqn
17 OTU Silverstone, 1654 HCU Wigsley (Stirlings), 5 LFS Syerston
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Well looks like this will be the end of this thread. Touch down in Sydney and 1 flight to go to get home.

Thanks to all for suggestions, help and comments. More to be posted soon, maybe another thread !!

Got lots to say about the state of the airlines and " tourism" in general, but again another place and time.

Cheers and thanks, Neale
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Thanks very much Neale but I have to say that this surely is only the beginning of the thread ..................... you still have to post all your photos, etc.
We can't let you off that easily, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Great stuff Neale, what a fantastic experience! Looking forward to more photos once you're home and sorted...

Cheers,

Richard
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

ME739 wrote:Got lots to say about the state of the airlines and " tourism" in general, but again another place and time.

Cheers and thanks, Neale
I think we can confidently say this has been an epic holiday for you both, you're very lucky to have a wife like Brenda who is so interested and supportive for your passion for all things aeronautical! Regarding tourism, I hope the B&B in Dorset achieved a certificate of satisfaction!! :D
Regards to you both
Max (and Lins)
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Hi All,

Hang in there, 11600 photos to go through (plus video), been at it a week and still havent got to the VRA ones yet....

Max, yes I'm very lucky and the B&B in Dorset gets the highest possible rating and its only a matter of time till the next 'booking' :D :D

N
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

ME739 wrote:Hi All,

Hang in there, 11600 photos to go through (plus video), been at it a week and still havent got to the VRA ones yet....

Max, yes I'm very lucky and the B&B in Dorset gets the highest possible rating and its only a matter of time till the next 'booking' :D :D

N
Neil, please take all the time you need, we are only expecting the first 5,000 photos by weeks end. :D
Kitty
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
ME739
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by ME739 »

Well, where to start.
For me England was fantastic for the sheer volume of aircraft available to see, both in the air and on the ground. My First sight of a Lancaster in the air was at East Kirkby when the BBMF Lanc flew over with the Typhoon as a practice run for the Waddington airshow. Then again at that show on the weekend when they did the Battle of Britain Memorial Flypast with the spitfire and hurricane and afterwards there was the 617 Sqn flypast celebrating "then and now" with the Lanc and Typhoon (poor typhoon pilot having to fly so slow). As an Aussie the Hurricane was a highlight to see in the air as there are none of them here, and despite all the BoB hype around the "spit" there is some majesty and nostalgia surrounding the Hurricane, truly a pleasure to watch.
The Vulcan bomber was just spectacular, nothing else to say really, such size and grace in the air, spectacular!! (you guessed it none of them either).
then on the Saturday night we attended the 57/630 Squadron reunion dinner at the Petwood hotel (you all know of that one) and I have to say, in a trip full of highlights it was the people we met and re-met that stood out. And these were a great bunch of people, the humor and dedication to having a good weekend were very evident. Cant wait for the dvd to arrive here. The memorial service on Sunday was held at East Kirkby obviously where Fred Panton received special mention for all his efforts to us all. We also had a special flyover by the Lanc (4 or 5 times) on its way to Waddington again. Fantastic.

And one especially for "Kitty" cheers John

more to follow,
Neale
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great stuff, Neale ........................ yes, especially like the last image. Extremely jealous, buddy!
Cheers,
John