For beer connoisseurs

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: For beer connoisseurs

Post by AlanW »

Well, as much as i like "draught" Spitfire (when it's kept right) my son brought me home some of the bottled version yesterday, and it was bloody atrocious :(
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Alan,

I have to agree, the bottled "Spitfire" is not my tipple, however while staying in a Rye last week in a rather lovely 300-year-old converted fishing smoke house the local pub was a Shepherd Neame and boy-o-boy-o-boy did the gov'nor know how to look after his ale. I was drinking pints of Spitfire and Whitstable Bay much to the better half's discomfort!!! You would think that as Britain's oldest brewer they would get it right by now !

The only problem I had was paying £4.00 a pint !!!!

Steve

PS OTU ORB will be sent this evening. Having real issues with Virgin broadband down in Kent this weekend!!
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Not surprised at that old chap - Rye is notoriously expensive and always has been - it is the poseurs etc., bit like parts of North Norfolk. Think I remember the place you mention - and of course the Mermaid Inn was rather pricy too.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

£4.00 a pint :o all the real Ales in my local, are £2.70 :D
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Gents,

The Mermaid, full and fat loud Yanks and Japs. Stayed there once but it just felt "old" !!

My two favourites are the Ypres Castle and the Cinque Port, get a lot of actors in the Ypres and arty types, good crack but expensive. The Port is where I drank, great place. I would recommend anyone to visit during Jazz week, it was swinging :lol: :lol:

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Do you also know I always thought Duxford was in Cambridgeshire - strange, perhaps they moved it after the airfield became non operational? North Essex of course is quite nice - not until you get nearer to London that it becomes a little hostile.
Well yes, of course Duxford is in Cambridgeshire, but the very obliging and helpful lady at reception lived in Saffron Walden (where we were staying.....I suppose Your Grumpiness is going to tell me that too is full of poseurs) and I believe that is in Essex?
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Saffron Walden....... no, hardly for poseurs - have not been for ages but remember it as quite nice and ordinary ...... but then things change! Talking to a chap last Sunday from London (well I do make concessions) who had recently visited Poole - which always seemed fairly civilised to me - and he accidentally bumped into someone coming out of a shop. He apologised and was presented with the retort "Do that again and you will be...." . Mentioned it to his wife in the evening and she had had a very similar experience. Such a shame. But then the disagreeable ones may have been trippers from London of course. We find almost all of the ASB is by people from out of the area.

So many of the towns I used to enjoy have become havens for professional layabouts, druggies and lowlife. Culling can only be the answer.