Official squadron, course & crew photographs.

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
GuyMassey
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Official squadron, course & crew photographs.

Post by GuyMassey »

I often wonder what happened to all the official photographs that were taken internally by the RAF of course, crew and squadron members. These pictures were ordered by individuals for their families. Odd ones that have been scanned by members pop up on here and elsewhere. Do the originals still exist in an archive somewhere? I would love to find the photographs of Initial Training Wing Bridlington from January 1943. and No.7 Air Gunnery School, Stormy Down, course no. 103 for instance. Anyone know?
"The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!" anon.
Denonline
BC Veteran
BC Veteran

Re: Official squadron, course & crew photographs.

Post by Denonline »

Hello Guy,
We did not have a course photo taken at ITW Bridgnorth. We were however each given a course photo at No. 11 AGS, No. 14 OTU, and one crew photo with 227 squadron.

Dennis
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Some of the files on ITWs, OTUs etc at the NA have course photos in them but their presence seems fairly random and probably down to how keen or conscientious the Adjutant or CO was.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
thegypsy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by thegypsy »

I have a copy of the photograph of " A " Flight Ninth Course 25th Feb 1941 No 1 Squadron RAF Aberystwyth which my Uncle was on. It lists the names of all those in the photo. He went onto Wellingtons as pilot No 40 Squadron and aircraft came down in the sea 10th Jan 1942 on bombing mission to Wilhemshaven and he spent the rest of the war as a POW as did two others and two were killed in the ditching.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

That's pretty much in line with the course photos I've seen when visiting the NA, earlier in the war the details on the photos were by name usually written in white Indian ink, latterly they were by number with a cross reference to a typed list, and finally nothing at all, just the picture.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
david layne
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by david layne »

At this link http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/operatio ... ning-unit/ is a photograph taken on 21-2-41 at Cottesmore of 14 OTU personnel in course No. 24 from 14-2-41 to 20-6-41.

At that time they were training on Hampdens prior to assignment to a Hampden squadron.
Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/
Davenport7

Post by Davenport7 »

Couple here:

http://www.wellingtont2905.co.uk/group%20photos.html

No.29 course for 11 OTU was the one my grandfather Les Davenport was in (middle row third from right)

Regards

Ian