1:10 model: Who can I honour?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: 1:10 model: Who can I honour?

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Somewhat dear to me - the profile of the front part of the wing at the fuselage pretty much perpendicular.

(Anyone have the originals of this pic????)

Capture some stills from 'Speed up on Stirlings' the leading edge where the fuel tank is often seems to have a flat upper front edge instead of the normal smooth curve.

James
Attachments
Stirling Bomber N6012 crash View 1.jpg
Stirling Bomber N6012 crash View 1.jpg (145.52 KiB) Viewed 29472 times
eye4wings
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by eye4wings »

James, those are excellent!

And quite sufficient to work on - which I will do tomorrow.

I agree that the part of the underside where the bomb bays are definitely looks flat. The slight curvature on the wing photo is down to perspective due to camera position, but aft of the bays is the evidence I need... a definite upward curve with the upper curve less pronounced than the true Goettingen 436 section.
What the designers evidently did was to lift the trailing edge, adjusting the section to be more like the Clark YH used on Hawker Hurricane and Henley (and no doubt others - I know about these as I have been drawing up a Henley for the last couple of months) to reduce some of the trim differential with speed variation. They gave it some reflexing like used on flying wings - but less pronounced of course.

I am relieved to find that all the peering into under-wing darkness I did, from which I estimated some upward curvature aft of the rear spar was not in vain after all!

I will enjoy trying to work out a reconciliation tomorrow - after a good night's sleep (I hope).

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble for me. Mission accomplished!
Robin
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Ah... The old Clark YH trim differential variation eh? .... you should have said :? ...... I'd have put this one up before if you had!

(This is the only photo I've ever seen where you can read the text on the trailing edge!!)

James
Attachments
Scan077a.jpg
Scan077a.jpg (169.61 KiB) Viewed 29470 times
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

This one is nice and bright under the wing - just a little clipped though.

I've been looking at these myself for a while now and can see that there is quite a lot of metal work just to flare the wing into the fuselage.

James
Attachments
D 4474 2 172729a.jpg
D 4474 2 172729a.jpg (172.75 KiB) Viewed 29470 times
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

James,
Thank you again!
Particularly that last one could have saved quite a few modelling errors. As you say so light under the wing - and above come to that - you wouldn't guess that the colours were actually dark green and brown... or black underneath.
But there's something odd in the background... surely not a 'Stuka' by the port wheel?? I can't think of a British type that had that look... or the wide-track undercarriaged fighter type seen behind it under the fuselage. One of the Martin-Baker prototypes maybe?
Curious!

Anyway the extraction of wing outlines was my first self-appointed task this morning and I am now content that I have the section reasonably close... and actually quite hard to tell apart from the section I originally guessed. Unfortunately I had to use my CorelDraw program and having suffered a computer crash a month back I am not able to convert my worksheets to any format I could upload here. Quite a few useful programs got lost in going onto Windows 7. A few I have managed to rescue but it's an ongoing story.

Thank you for your ministrations! - I can only guess at the wealth of information you must have at your fingertips!
Robin
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Robin

It's not black undersides, this aircraft is one of the first batch that had yellow painted undersides although they latterly were overpainted black. Not sure what that aircraft is by the wheel although I have a HD copy of this photo somewhere which might give more of a clue

John L
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

Quite so John - I wasn't thinking straight at that point... much more concerned about the other presences on the field!

That presumably puts this photo pre war when a German type would not be expected to be present - even if this is at an R&D establishment.
Do you know where it was taken?

Robin
eye4wings

Post by eye4wings »

I tried to put the gear down but the starboard one was jammed part way up.
I tried to put the gear down but the starboard one was jammed part way up.
IMG_8862i.jpg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 29318 times
Having just received some airborne shots of the model I thought I would put a few that are unlikely to form part of any future publication article here. Hopefully you will enjoy them for whatever they are worth.

I am still having troubles with the retract system although I am much closer to a final solution now.

ALso I just had a week in Suffolk and managed to visit Parham at last. I was delighted to find that not everything there is B-17. The field was also used by returning machines that were damaged in action and on display (apart from a B-24 rudder) are a pair of Stirling tailwheels and the dorsal turret from an early Mk.I.

No doubt the Stirling Project are aware of the existance of these?!

Robin
Attachments
the flaps work well though - I limited their angle of depression for the model.
the flaps work well though - I limited their angle of depression for the model.
IMG_8895i.jpg (249.12 KiB) Viewed 29318 times
Nothing for it but to put that wheel up again and land wheels up.
Nothing for it but to put that wheel up again and land wheels up.
IMG_8882i.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 29318 times
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Robin, I put together some 'stills' from the production movie, you may find some images helpful.
Cheers,
John
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2149&hilit=short+st ... production
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi Robin

Thanks for that, we are aware of those parts plus a few more that are there. Thankfully we've already got a pair of tail oleos and an FN7 cupola :)

John L