RAFVR WW2 and beyond

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Mary
Stirling Aircraft Society Treasurer & Membership
Stirling Aircraft Society Treasurer & Membership

RAFVR WW2 and beyond

Post by Mary »

I'm researching Bertram Thomas Elwell born 1896
He likely served in army in WW1 service number M2/264400 but appears in London Gazette post WW2 as Pilot Officer until 1960 service number 206245.
I find no private pilot licence. Could this be the same man?
The name seems to be unique though there is also a Bertram Elwell without a middle name.
Without a squadron number I'm not sure where to look.
I'm hoping he was on Stirlings at some point ...
Any ideas please?
colinpateman
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: RAFVR WW2 and beyond

Post by colinpateman »

Obviously Pilot Officer Rank will not indicate he was a 'Pilot'
His Officers service number does not allow any reference to enlisting unless you found it on the LG, I have great trouble searching on that myself !
Have you any other clues I am struggling to offer anything with this.

Colin.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: RAFVR WW2 and beyond

Post by AlanW »

Hi,
Like Colin, i struggle with the LG ever since it got it's new format, but i have found him (20th May 1955,Supplement 40485,page 3004) with the Training Branch in 1960, with an appointment to a Commission as F/O on 5th March 1955. Other notices include 20th March 59, extension of service for 1yr, and 20th Sept 60, retaining rank of P/O, all notices have him with Training Branch. The other Bertram Elwell without a middle name that you mention, was a Bomb Aimer with 75sqdn, killed on 15th April 43.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.