Flight logs

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Mancpal
Corporal
Corporal

Flight logs

Post by Mancpal »

Can anybody tell me if copies of flight logs exist anywhere. I am led to believe my late uncle had his but they are no longer within the family.

Thanks

Simon
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Flight logs

Post by AlanW »

If you are referring to his flying logbook, then the answer is no. If you eventually find out information on any squadron's he was with, you can then look at their record books for details of flights/ops
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Hi Simon,

If you mean the Navigator's log, then I'm afraid it's a sorry story. None in TNA (unless I've simply failed to find them). There are some preserved in the monthly navigation bulletins in the Bomber command ORB, or in files covering training such as GROPE (AIR 10/3455). You may find some in places like Elvington museum or the PFF museum?

Cheers,

Richard
Mancpal
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Mancpal »

Richard and Alan

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm a novice when it comes to WW2 and the RAFso forgive me if I get the terminology a bit wrong.
It is the Flying log to which I refer and the only example I've seen is hand written so it's rather obvious on reflection what a herculean task it would have been to transcribe each one.

Thanks again

Simon