Advice Please

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Advice Please

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi all

I am In the process of writing a book on RAF Downham Market, the main manuscript is completed and I am now working on the appendices. Part of this is to record every aircraft that operated from D/M. It is a massive task, which I am happy to undertake but I am just wondering would any prospective buyer of the book be interested in such information?

I am listing basic details via the AM Form 78, serial, builder, contract, ToC dates, accidents, repairs and movements. Details via the ORB include dates, target, pilot, and outcome of raid, i.e Duty Carried Out /Duty Not Carried Out.

Is this something that would be of interest ? I did it with my 623 Squadron book, but this is a massive undertaking?

Comments welcome.

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Advice Please

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Congratulations Steve on another forthcoming effort.

I can only surmise but if I was interested in a particular squadron and or topic as such, the more detail that was available would be advantageous.
At the end of the day, it comes down to what you as a researcher feels most relevant.
As you say, it would present a massive task for you so you need to clarify what works for you the writer, at this present time.
All the best.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi John,

Thanks for the post.

I want to try and include as much as I can, BUT without it becoming repetitive. I am I suppose trying to combine the a/c history with the career of the skippers. You can track an individual pilots op's by the aircraft he flew, or perhaps I should list the pilots op's and include the a/c ? ;)

What ever the way, a massive amount of work !

Here's to a ENGLAND Grand Slam, ( Sorry Bruno :o :o )

Steve
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Bill Chorley explained to me a few years ago how he discovered all the filing cabinets containing the loss cards almost forgotten and certainly unappreciated in their importance, in fact from memory I think he said they were scheduled for destruction. Thank God Bill rescued them, but I wonder whether even he realised how important his books about BC losses were to become. So Steve, continue with your labour of love, there are people who will find them a treasure trove and perhaps in time more than you know!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Good morning Max,

I think good fortune smiled on all us when Bill found the Loss Cards and he produced the RAFBCL volumes, what a legacy!.

I know what I want when I buy a book, but I am not sure it is what everyone wants, but I will keep on with the present format and just see how big it gets. At least, if it is not used I will have at the end of it a unique record of operations flown from Downham Market.

Cheers

Steve
The Nomads