loss of Stirling W7629, crashsite located...

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: loss of Stirling W7629, crashsite located...

Post by AlanW »

I have to agree with Danny about the crash site at this time. All i've seen, points to the crash of this aircraft being at Baaler Bruch SSW of Goch. No offence but without "definite" and i mean definite identification of this being W7629 it would be unwise to put a certain aircraft identity to it, no matter how certain you might think you are. You would need to find certain parts, such as the engine serial number plates, personal items etc (something like the eagle brooch pictured, which might have been given by a wife/girlfriend) which can be tied in with a single aircraft.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Tonyed27
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Tonyed27 »

Just found this site.

I am very interested in this topic as the Flt Engineer on Stirling W7629 was Ronald Sawyer who was my Uncle.

He was my Mothers brother (she had three brothers all killed during WWII or before) so as I was born in 1950 I never met any of them.

I had done some research on the crash in which he perished and applied successfully for the 'Bomber Command' clasp in his name.

The records show that W7629 crashed in the Baaler Bruch.

Has any more info come light recently?
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Welcome on board Tony

hopefully you'll get some more info on your Uncles' aircraft.

regards

John
adeline1
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by adeline1 »

Hi,
I run a page called the Godmnchester Stirling, one of the crew went onto 7 Squadron and was killed in this crash. He was the Front Gunner, Sergeant Noel Spalding from Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk. I'm really keen to link all the families so that they can be remembered as a crew, all of whom paid the ultimate price for our freedom.
If you want to email me at rogerleivers@yahoo.co.uk I would be happy to share photos of Noel.
I have also written a book 'Stirling to Essen' which tells the story of a XV Squadron Stirling that crashed in April 1942. Noel missed that flght due to frostbite.