Stirling serial code needed

roodymiller
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Stirling serial code needed

Post by roodymiller »

Hello...

I've just joined this forum as I'd like to tap into some of your brains and resources.

As a memorial to remember the aircrew and 9 paratroopers that lost their lives on 6 June 44. I'm having or go in to have a model made.

Aircraft 204 (nicknamed Hellzapoppin) had the code LJ819 piloted by Gilbert was shot down or crashed at sea never to be found.

I'm hoping someone could give me the aircraft serial number... I believe it is either 5GH or X9H. I want the build to be as accurate as possible.

I also found this image but don't know if this is the right one as not sure it's a Stirling MKIV. I'm not much of a plane expert...

Any other info would be welcome

Thanks in advance
.Andrew Woolhouse

PS I wrote the book 13 Lucky For Some the history of the 13th parachute battalion and included a section which describes the surviving paras views on the subject.
Attachments
censorship51.jpg
censorship51.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
roodymiller
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Re: Stirling serial code needed

Post by roodymiller »

Forgot to add

299 squadron from Keevil
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jamesinnewcastle »

Hi

The picture shows a Halifax bomber I think - it's not a Stirling.

See this entry:

viewtopic.php?t=1229

Cheers
James
roodymiller
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by roodymiller »

Thanks mate... I didn't think it was a Stirling. The plane was called the same...

I'm still after the correct serial number if anyone can help.

Another thing... where would the aircraft "chalk" numbers be written for the parachute stick, I presume on the nose or on the door.

Cheers
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi

According to MIchael Bowyer: LJ 819 5G-H, K/299 Sqn 21.1.44, FTR 6.6.44 shot down during operation Mallard.

FTR = Failed to Return.

Not that helpful though H or K? What you need are the Squadron ORBs. Look around on the net and facebook for people interested in 299 Squadron, someone probably has them.

I've never heard of a 'chalk number' myself.

Cheers
James
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Here you go - from the ORB. The stirling squadron number was 5G apparently so you want 5G-H

I've downloaded the whole ORB for you - PM me with your email address for a copy.

The timing on the ORB shows that the Stirlings were taking off 30 seconds apart.

James
Attachments
2018-11-21_23-25-51.jpg
2018-11-21_23-25-51.jpg (18.06 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
Last edited by jamesinnewcastle on Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

He also gets a mention in the Summary of Events part of the ORB - an unhappy entry though.

The entry for that day is long and detailed. A poetic snippet:

"The coast was bathed in pale evening sunshine which enhanced the rich greens and yellows of the fields, and sombre grey of the old Norman Villages"

James
Attachments
2018-11-21_23-30-14.jpg
2018-11-21_23-30-14.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
jamesinnewcastle
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Hi

I've just noticed that there were 21 paratroopers on board and not 9. I have another post on here that shows where the paratroops would have sat and where they stowed their gear.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2279&start=90

The Stirling could have carried 28 troops according to the drawing so 7 may have avoided the crash.

Cheers
James
roodymiller
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by roodymiller »

Sorry for the delay in getting back... thanks for all the help guys. There was 20 paras on board as I have the full stick list from the para Regt archives but it only gives the chalk number of the aircraft not it's actual serial. So heers for clearing it up... the first 11 jump and the remaining 9 went down with the plane but no wreckage was ever found so assumed last at sea.

Andrew