Picture Identification

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Picture Identification

Post by IWALKER »

Good day,

I wanted to know if anyone has the full names of the individuals referenced in the attached 7 Squadron photograph. I've posted here before about attempting to locate any family members of my Grandfather's deceased flight crew, as he was the only survivor. To date, the only family I have been unable to locate is that of Sgt. George Nicolson. On some records his last name is spelled Nicholson. The attached image references a "Nicholson" in the back row, 4th from the left, and I would love to be able to confirm if that was George as to date I lack any pictures of him. Any assistance is appreciated!

Thank you,

Iain Walker
Attachments
7 Squadron (2).jpg
7 Squadron (2).jpg (216.99 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
Headstone.jpg
Headstone.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Re: Picture Identification

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hello Iain,

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, full names of crew members were very rare.
Finding information on relatives that survived the world was even more rear.
Finding information on relatives that were KIA during the were is sometimes where we find most of information.

I'm sure if any members here has the information you requested, they would make contact.
Cheers,
John
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
From the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Sergeant
JACK, GEORGE NICHOLSON
Service Number 990022

Died 25/08/1944

Aged 23

Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Son of Atholl Drummond Jack and Ann Balfour Jack, of Kirkcaldy, Fife.
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
abc man
Corporal
Corporal

Post by abc man »

Iain,

Without initials AND an RAF service number it is impossible to locate full names.

Certain surnames are rather rare and you may get lucky without a service number.

But, in this case, if you're dealing with a Scottish chap, well, they have different privacy laws than England and finding relatives can be both fruitless and exhausting.

If I could recommend anything to you, it would be to sign up for https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php and post in the sections where you know they came from.
IWALKER
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by IWALKER »

Thank you all for your response. There was definitely a George Nicolson that served in 7 Squadron with my grandfather and who died on August 25, 1941 (Service No. 529189). On some flight records (see attached example), his last name was spelled "Nicholson" with the same Service No. When I saw the previously attached image of 7 Squadron with last names attached, including "Nicholson", I was hoping to determine if that was the same George Nicolson that I have been searching for as to date I don't have a picture. I will keep looking and see where I end up. Thanks again!
Attachments
Inscription.jpg
Inscription.jpg (80.63 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
flight record.png
flight record.png (67.9 KiB) Viewed 6894 times