Why Build Models?

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Why Build Models?

Post by ME453 »

Why Build Models?
This was the title of an article in “The Aeroplane Spotter” dated February 12 1942. Its primary answer was that in building scale models, it helped you to become familiar with the characteristics from all aspects of the particular aircraft in question, which in turn aided the positive recognition of the real thing in the skies of wartime Britain. Much better, the writer argues, than the standard 2 dimensional silhouettes.

But the question, and many other reasons given in the article, is equally valid today. The writer, C P Dixon, says that building an accurate model requires a very careful study of all the drawings available, all photographs of the real aeroplane must be examined and the study must be truly objective entailing a close examination from as many aspects as possible for the work in hand. He goes on to talk about important details such as the position of the fin and rudder in relation to the fuselage and tailplane, location of wing roots on the fuselage, style and degree of dihedral or anhedral etc etc..

As I read these words over my breakfast soggies, I realised how much of what he was recommending 68 years ago still applies today, good reference sources and research form the backbone of producing an accurate model. As a child I built every kit that Airfix produced, often haunting Woolies to see if a new plane had been released and saving my pocket money till I had the 1/6 to buy it; I remember my first was a Supermarine Spitfire (what else!) Mk 1 moulded in blue.

Fifty five years later (admittedly after a break of forty years) I found the quality of kits, the size and complexity, the tools available, the extras that can be bought to super-detail them all quite bewildering. It makes the building of models more challenging and most of the time, more rewarding. I say most of the time, because it’s easy to get bogged down in the intricacies of a kit such that it never gets finished!

I suspect lurking in most of us is the kid wanting to build a plastic kit, we were all very much in evidence at the National Exhibition at Telford in November! So I’d invite any “wannabe” modellers to just have a go, forget detailing and exotic finishes, that will all come in time, but just get a simple kit and have a go! And when you do, show us your results in this section – its scope will be as wide as the rest of the forum and you’ll always be guaranteed to receive positive feedback.

I intend building an Airfix 1/72nd scale Lancaster, a very old kit, step-by-step in this section with supporting words and pictures showing the methods, the tools, the paints, the techniques and the tricks used to end up with, hopefully (fingers crossed) a reputable model. I know some of my friends on the forum are also model-makers, including one who has a very creditable Stirling, so I hope they’ll overcome their shyness and “show us theirs”.
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: Why Build Models?

Post by smudgersmith218 »

ME453 wrote:Why Build Models?
This was the title of an article in “The Aeroplane Spotter” dated February 12 1942. Its primary answer was that in building scale models, it helped you to become familiar with the characteristics from all aspects of the particular aircraft in question, which in turn aided the positive recognition of the real thing in the skies of wartime Britain. Much better, the writer argues, than the standard 2 dimensional silhouettes.

But the question, and many other reasons given in the article, is equally valid today. The writer, C P Dixon, says that building an accurate model requires a very careful study of all the drawings available, all photographs of the real aeroplane must be examined and the study must be truly objective entailing a close examination from as many aspects as possible for the work in hand. He goes on to talk about important details such as the position of the fin and rudder in relation to the fuselage and tailplane, location of wing roots on the fuselage, style and degree of dihedral or anhedral etc etc..

As I read these words over my breakfast soggies, I realised how much of what he was recommending 68 years ago still applies today, good reference sources and research form the backbone of producing an accurate model. As a child I built every kit that Airfix produced, often haunting Woolies to see if a new plane had been released and saving my pocket money till I had the 1/6 to buy it; I remember my first was a Supermarine Spitfire (what else!) Mk 1 moulded in blue.

Fifty five years later (admittedly after a break of forty years) I found the quality of kits, the size and complexity, the tools available, the extras that can be bought to super-detail them all quite bewildering. It makes the building of models more challenging and most of the time, more rewarding. I say most of the time, because it’s easy to get bogged down in the intricacies of a kit such that it never gets finished!

I suspect lurking in most of us is the kid wanting to build a plastic kit, we were all very much in evidence at the National Exhibition at Telford in November! So I’d invite any “wannabe” modellers to just have a go, forget detailing and exotic finishes, that will all come in time, but just get a simple kit and have a go! And when you do, show us your results in this section – its scope will be as wide as the rest of the forum and you’ll always be guaranteed to receive positive feedback.

I intend building an Airfix 1/72nd scale Lancaster, a very old kit, step-by-step in this section with supporting words and pictures showing the methods, the tools, the paints, the techniques and the tricks used to end up with, hopefully (fingers crossed) a reputable model. I know some of my friends on the forum are also model-makers, including one who has a very creditable Stirling, so I hope they’ll overcome their shyness and “show us theirs”.
Regards
Max

Hi Max,

I am looking forward to this, what squadron will it be. ? PLEASE not a No.5 Group Lanc. :D :D :D

How about a No.3 Group Lancaster, you know that other group who did a bit here and there :P :P :P

Cheers

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Blimey Steve, did 3 Group fly Lancs? :o :o :o Sorry old chap, I can't deny my roots - it will either be LM677 or PB806 of 467 squadron (erm, that's 5 Group :roll: ) both of which were lost on the same op. as ME453.
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Hmmmmm......... well might as well get some popcorn, put my feet up and have a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

And what is a Lancaster???? Is it anything like a Stirliing???
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:Hmmmmm......... well might as well get some popcorn, put my feet up and have a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

And what is a Lancaster???? Is it anything like a Stirliing???
That's fine, I know how cold it is over there in the outer reaches of civilisation, but before you go back into hibernation little furry thing, please show us your Stirling. If you do, I'll show you my Lancaster, then you might be able to spot the differences. I'll give you a starter for 10, COUNT THE FINS!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

ME453 wrote:Blimey Steve, did 3 Group fly Lancs? :o :o :o Sorry old chap, I can't deny my roots - it will either be LM677 or PB806 of 467 squadron (erm, that's 5 Group :roll: ) both of which were lost on the same op. as ME453.
Max
Max,

Well to be expected, No.5 Group Independent Airforce. !!! Yep, old 3 Group did fly Lanc’s eventually, last in line as usual to you 5 & 1 Group chaps.!!! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the end result :shock:

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Alright you old bully - I wondered how long it would be before being in charge of something would go to your head; but we have not seen much of this "build" of yours have we. So here is something I did earlier - be rude about it and it is the statutory punch up the froat!!

And by the way it is a Stirling. With one fin - the sticking up thing at the back.

Oi! How come you have got a pilot's brevet - corporals did not beome pilots (insufficent nonse).

And I don't want to be a corporal anyway -'orrible little 'fings they were . No, not no 'ow - please - have mercy!
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Excellent David thank you! You know I'm rude to you as often as possible but not when it comes to your models cos you have a modicum of talent. ;) That's a lovely Stirling. So as good as my word:

Hasegawa 1/72nd scale with added flaps, scratch built flare shute etc etc.

Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

You did not build that Lanc. It was the one you bought ready made at Yeovilton. Far too good for you to have built.

............and anyway you have not answered my question.

"Oi! How come you have got a pilot's brevet - corporals did not beome pilots (insufficent nonse).

And I don't want to be a corporal anyway -'orrible little 'fings they were . No, not no 'ow - please - have mercy!"

PS Mine's bigger!! :lol:
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Oh you are a persistent fellow, a bit like midgies, always buzzing around, being irritating and never going away. It's because I'm a high-flier so I need wings, OK? Brown jobs like you just get stuck in the mud!! ;) And I DID build that Lanc see, it's ME453 PO-L. Yours might be bigger, but the old saying "It's not the size of the magician's wand, but the tricks he does with it that matters" applies very aptly here, so ascendo tum old chap!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk