raf methwold norfolk

This is the Forum of Squadrons, Crews and Aircraft of Bomber Command & Related Luftwaffe personnel and aircraft.
Lakenheath
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

raf methwold norfolk

Post by Lakenheath »

hi, ive been visting the methwold airfiled on and off now for a year with a paranormal investigation team who up until the 5th of june had me as a sceptic. they said they needed to revisit on this day at 2228 to talk to a sgt bill bellamy who flew on a window operation on this date at that time. without giving them too much information how much more is available on this site with these two craft that flew on this date but never returned in the open internet? if anyone has anything that i can challenge them to find out it would be very handy as a matter of personal interest and to help with proving or disproving this medium they have. any help would be very gratefully recieved.
pete
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: raf methwold norfolk

Post by AlanW »

Hi Pete,
My guess is that they would have done their homework, and it's not that difficult to find out information these days. Try asking what his actual duty was on this particular flight, and how many previous operations did he take part in. Also try asking which unit he was "attached" to at Methwold at the time of death, and i do'nt mean which squadron. Obviously, i'm not going to post the answers here (just in case), but there's always the chance that they've had access to the same information. Let us know what happens.
Alan.
Just noticed that there was a posting on Frank Bellamy, on the site, back in October 2010, which included a photograph of him.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Lakenheath
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Lakenheath »

here's a little more info on what they have said.
it was apparently his last operation, he was never meant to be on the operation, nor were most of the crew on the stirling he was on, most had been drafted in to cover sickness or kia's. he was orginally from feltwell as a radio trainer and as such was assigned as radio man for this. his full name was William 'Bill' Bellamy. i know a large number of people don't believe in this sort of thing and i cant blame them but what i can and am willing to do is put the photo on here that got me interested in this airfield and more importantly these brave men.
Alan your more then welcome to email me so i can go fore armed next time?
Pete.
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi Pete,
Not sure about the majority of the crew being drafted in to cover sickness/kia, as apart from the 2 spare bods, Bellamy and Hart, this was a full crew that normally flew under F/Sgt Millar. It seems that S/Ldr Hutchins flew with different crews now and then, taking the place of the normal pilot. The Wop/Ag for this crew was on board at the time, so Bellamy was not the radio man for this trip. Here is the crew and positions for that night........

S/Ldr C.J.K. Hutchins, pilot. (In place of F/Sgt Millar.)
F/O J.B. Hornby, Nav.
F/Sgt H.R. Wincott, AB.
F/Sgt W. McCoy, FE.
WO W. Hannaford, Wop.
Sgt R.W. Abrams, M/Upper.
Sgt A.H. Browne, R/G.
Sgt F.W. Bellamy, Wop 2.
Sgt R.H.S. Hart, Nav 2.
These last two were attached to Aircrew School Methwold.

I can also tell you that the 7 aircraft from 149sqdn, were not on a "Window" operation this day, the Stirlings involved in that, were from 218sqdn. The 149sqdn aircraft were involved in dropping dummy parachutists and explosive devices for diversionary purposes, in locations away from the landing areas.
Alan.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
Lakenheath
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Lakenheath »

Brilliant, this is info i can go back.with forearmed to dispell or and i actually hope have them proved right. Alan, your a star.
martynp
Corporal
Corporal

Post by martynp »

I am a relative of F W Bellamy and if you post what they say I may be able to confirm or deny what they say but all the info you have said that they have can be found on the net easily if you know where to start looking which I susspect is what has been done here to try and catch you out. However I will not put any personal family info on here. All I will say is to the family he was not William.
Lakenheath
Leading Aircraftman
Leading Aircraftman

Post by Lakenheath »

Hi mrtyn, i had seen that you had said in other posts that if was your uncle. When they first identified him they instantly called him bill. If i remember rightly its was said Sgt bill bellamy and if wanted to know what we were doing on the airfield as we didnt look like raf personnel. Im organising going back very soon and would be honoured if you live locally to take you back with them there also. As soon as i know a date i will let you know. I did email you a week or two ago from your profile but id say that it doesn't look to have reached you.
martynp
Corporal
Corporal

Post by martynp »

Sorry but i dont live locally.
149NUTS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by 149NUTS »

Hi Martynp,
I recently received a request to do a write-up for sgt Bellamy. I did a quick one and advised the enquirer that it was better to get the ROS for more info.... If you would like to contact me I am alandotfraserATstirlingpilotdotorgdotuk. You are welcome to a copy of what I have done.
149 Sqn Historian