The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

This is the section where you can find all the latest news of the rebuilt of the Short Stirling.
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: The Stirling Aircraft Project Update

Post by Stirling Project »

K4KittyCrew wrote:great stuff there, John .............. the many hours of blood, sweat & dedication are really paying dividends. keep up the great work!
John
Thanks John

Once the structure is in I can mount the throttle box properly. However, there is still a afair amount of work to do on that as due a build up of tolerances when it was rebuilt, the box is now 1/4" too wide. We need to make new closing panels as the top one is cast and contains the engine start buttons as well as the detentes for the throttles. All in all there's many hours work to keep me off the streets over the winter.

John
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

A busy weekend!

we've progressed the throttle box mount so that it's now drilled to final size and just awaits the provision of some flanged lightening holes, which we've still got to make the tooling for.

More to the point though, we've been steadily building up a kit of parts for the seat mounts, each seat requires 4 off of mounting castings, special bolts, special nuts, bushes and bellcrank assemblies (the latter of which have to be machined to size). No-one can accuse the Shorts' designers of over-complicating things LOL.

I've attached the pics of the P1 seat which has been partially drilled and slaved into position, it was gratifying to find that it all moves smoothly in the up and down plane and once this has been done just needs the addition of the adjustment lever. Not there yet but getting close.

John L
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 030.jpg (136.03 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Picture 031.jpg
Picture 031.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 032.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 7801 times
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Sorry that there hasn't been an update in a while but we have been busy ;)

Our workshop is in a minor state of chaos due to the ongoing building work, but we've been busy drawing and making up parts. To the outsider, aircraft restoration can be a series of lulls with no apparent progress then frantic activity, this is due in no small part with having to carry out in depth research to find out how the widget is attached and having to make the parts themselves. several months worth of background work can be finished off in a weekend with the assembly of a few small parts.

Anyway back to things, as related before, the P1 seat is slaved into position and we're making a kit of parts for the seat raising mechanism. Whilst I've been waiting for some parts to be made, I've stripped down our throttle box to rectify some small anomalies that crept in during it's original restoration. Some more information has come to light which has allowed us to make some missing parts and also to rectify the additional 1/4" width issue. We slaved it all into position on the new throttle box support structure last night, for the first time the box sits in the correct orientation to the rest of the flightdeck structure.

John L
Attachments
Throttle box 1.jpg
Throttle box 1.jpg (104.37 KiB) Viewed 7660 times
Dave_Richardson
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by Dave_Richardson »

It's looking great John

Cheers

Dave
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

John, I'm amazed at the amount of work that went into / has gone into the pilots' seat. Very complex metal work indeed. Great work, mate.
Cheers
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi,

That's really a very impressive work.
I expect to see it in real a day.
Regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Thanks John

There's an advert for one of our department stores over here that states 'Never knowingly undersold', in the case of the Stirling you could interpret this as 'Never knowingly under-engineered!'

One job that has to be done on the throttle box is the top closing panel; this is not only cast (!) but has to have a hinge moulded into it, plus mountings for starter buttons, throttle lever cam supports and a structure to attach some springs to. Oh! and part of its curved too!!!

All we have to go is some small extracts of drawings and photos so this should be an interesting exercise. Watch this space........

Bruno, Hope you can make it over to see it some day

John L (going greyer by the day thinking about making this)
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Still plodding away :roll:

The throttle box is now squared up to the floor and is at it's correct 7" width. The box itself will be slightly different to that originally restored as it will have an additional plate to close the propeller pitch levers, I've taken the decision to do this as we had the original Shorts drawings for these items and (I think) it makes for a neater installation. We've located the correct position for the throttle rear stops too, so it's all gradually coming together.

John L
Attachments
uploads 003.jpg
uploads 003.jpg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Some more progress to report. The following pics show some new end caps to the control wheel casting and an original refurbished undercarriage lever. We're gradually nibbling away at the seats and throttle box so hopefully there'll be some more news to post soon

John L
Attachments
uploads 009.jpg
uploads 009.jpg (96.06 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
uploads 008.jpg
uploads 008.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
uploads 007.jpg
uploads 007.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

A bit more done to the throttle box; I've made the front closing panel for the mixture levers which have been slaved into position. A little bit of fettling is required to provide adequate clearance to the levers but we're getting there. Things have temporarily slowed up on the rest of the flight deck as we've had to move our racks around in the workshop but hopefully we'll be cracking on again from this weekend onwards.

John L
Attachments
uploads.jpg
uploads.jpg (89.66 KiB) Viewed 7520 times