No.196 Squadron Photographs

smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

No.196 Squadron Photographs

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Chaps,

Just got a folder of No.196 Squadron related material, my scanner is on the blink so camera phone pics, originals are nice and clear. The potrait is of F/O James Deans DFC ( killed in a flying accident ) Anyone want copies of material please drop me a PM.

Regards

Steve
Edited by John ...... ( tried auto correction on the second photo )
Attachments
FO James Deans DFC.JPG
FO James Deans DFC.JPG (164.59 KiB) Viewed 12678 times
No.196 Sqdn a.JPG
No.196 Sqdn a.JPG (199 KiB) Viewed 12678 times
196 Sqdn.JPG
196 Sqdn.JPG (206.07 KiB) Viewed 12678 times
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
Nocturna mors
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Re: No.196 Squadron Photographs

Post by Nocturna mors »

Hi Steve,
I am currently "looking after" a medal group that belonged to the 196 sqn engineering officer who also lost his life when Stirling EH960 crashed into the wash during an air test. I would love to have a copy of F/O Deans photo or any pictures you may have of this crew. I have a picture of F/Lt Griffiths that i can scan for you if you wish. I have already done some research into the "Deans" crew and got the following...

One night in September 1943, Flying Officer Deans and Sergeant Butts were pilot and rear gunner of an aircraft which attached Mannheim. Shortly after the bombs were released the aircraft was attacked by enemy fighters. In the first attack the bomber was hit and Sergeant Butts\' guns suddenly failed to operate. Nevertheless this airman cooly gave his pilot directions in offensive action and at the same time cleared his guns of their stoppages. Further attacks were made by the enemy fighters but owing to Sergeant Butts\' skilful commentary Flying Officer Deans so manoeuvered his aircraft that one of the attackers was shot down. This officer and airman displayed great skill and courage.

Note: On 1 June 1943 he was in the crew of Wellington X, HE163, No.196 Squadron which crashed at Leconfield. Captain was F/O J.L Deans, navigator P/O A.E. Bothwell, bomb aimer P//O J.R. Vickers, WOP/AG Flight Sergeant S.A. Hurrell (all RAF) and rear gunner Sergeant N. Butts. Aircraft was on a mine laying mission with reduced petrol load. At 2,000 feet the starboard engine lost power and boost. F/O Deans made a circuit, overshot field, dropped mines in an adjacent field and crash landed. No injuries but aircraft burnt out.

Circumstances of Death: Stirling EH960 had been test flown two days earlier and a pronounced shuddering in flight reported. F/O J.L. Deans made a few adjustments and the Station Engineer Officer ordered another test. The airplane was airborne at 1050 hours for an air test and not seen again. Crashed twelve miles off Kings Lyn, Norfolk. Crew were 17926 F/O J.L. Deans, DFC (pilot), 132777 F/O F.J. Chapman (navigator), 1609264 Sergeant K.L. Wallace (flight engineer), 1287949 Sergeant T. McDonnell (mid-upper gunner), R88361 Flight Sergeant N. Butts, DFM (rear gunner) and 111157 F/L J.G. Griffiths (Squadron Engineer Officer). At the time of the crash, F/O Deans had 102 hours 30 minutes on Stirlings.

If anyone knows the particular code letter for this a/c,..i would be much obliged. ;)

PM........incoming! ;)

Rgds Tom
"Rule Britannia two tanners make a bob,three make eighten pence and four two bob"!
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by flyingpigsteve »

Hi Guys,
I am currently researching my second book. Its going to be a definitve history of 196 Squadron ( i hope). I am looking for any material on196, photos, stories or anything thats relevent really. It would be great if you could let me have anything you have.

Cheers

Steve
196 SQUADRON HISTORIAN AND RESEARCHER
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Hi Steve,

I'll have a look around and see what photos I can dig up.
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Steve,

Sorry mate I gave all the material away to a guy researching 196 Squadron a year or so back.

Regards

Steve
The Nomads
flyingpigsteve
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by flyingpigsteve »

Cheers Guys

Steve
196 SQUADRON HISTORIAN AND RESEARCHER
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Hi Steve,

Just found an old CD with the photographs on and various bit on No.196 Squadron's Flying Officer Bothwell, KIA June June 5/6th 1944 Operation "TONGA" Shot down in flames over the DZ.

Let me know.

Steve
The Nomads
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Hi Steve,

Are there any photos of Flying Officer Bothwell (and also his crew) on the cd?
It is to add to the 38 Group Roll of Honour.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Bruno LECAPLAIN, Webmaster.
www.raf38group.org
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Bruno wrote:Hi Steve,

Are there any photos of Flying Officer Bothwell (and also his crew) on the cd?
It is to add to the 38 Group Roll of Honour.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

Bruno
Hi Bruno,

Yes I believe there is. I will email you all the photographs either tonight or over the weekend.

Regards

Steve
The Nomads
Bruno
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bruno »

Thanks!!
Kind regards.

Bruno