Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by ME453 »

I've wanted to model a Fortress III (derived from the B17G) which 214 squadron flew supporting many Bomber Command operations. Their function was to blind the German radars and radar-controlled AA guns through the use of "black boxes" such as Mandrel and Jostle IV, as well as windowing.

So I've made a start using the "ancient" Revell/Monogram 1/48th B17G, the moulds were made in 1975 so it's been around a long time, and it shows in many ways when compared with modern kits. Having said that, it's pretty much flash-free and from dry-fitting seems to go together well. I like the key-locking technique for fitting the wings accurately to the fuselage but the perspex items aren't good - the plastic is thick and many items have nasty little locating tabs which would be clearly visible when fitted. Consequently I've bought the Squadron vac-formed items which will terrify me when I come to use them because they're expensive (for my pocket anyway!) and easily cocked-up.

Here are some initial shots as starters:

I like the detail moulded inside the fuselage, I won't be adding anything further to the inside apart from the immediate nose area - some curtains!!

The upper and lower wing halves fiited together very well. It was only after I'd done this that I realised I could have fitted some fine mesh behind the air intakes on the wings' leading edges. Doh!!

I can't resist cutting out elevators and rudders on my models to try to give a little more "character" when finished. Makes for more work though.

Ah, a lovely simple undercarriage, just 2 bits. I may get the Eduard Brassen wheels, I'll see how these look first.

The clear bits....see above.

Most, if not all, of the Fortress IIIs were second-hand from the USAAF and look rather worn out, so that's the finish I'll be trying to achieve. Note the chin H2S dome, I'm adapting, slightly I hope, one from the Tamiya Lancaster to fit the Fortress.

More soon I hope,
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Re: Fortress III of 214 sqdn, 100 Group

Post by PAFG »

Looking forward to following this one, Max. A fascinating subject!
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Hi Max,

What ever happened to that 218 Wimpy !!!! :lol:

Cheers

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Work in progress Steve......had a long break from modelling but back in harness now! Watch the thread my friend. ;)
Regards
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Max,

Only pulling ya Cornish leg, as and when mate ;)

Steve
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

smudgersmith218 wrote:Max,

Steve
Yeah, Cornwall's roughly down our way - west of London anyway, but I actually live in Dorset (though so close to the Wiltshire border that I could have one Dorset and one Wiltshire leg!). :D
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

A bit less time county hopping and more time building, please ... I'm running out of popcorn ;)
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

ME453 wrote:
smudgersmith218 wrote:Max,

Steve
Yeah, Cornwall's roughly down our way - west of London anyway, but I actually live in Dorset (though so close to the Wiltshire border that I could have one Dorset and one Wiltshire leg!). :D

To a city boy, it all carrot country !!!.

One does cream, the other cider, just love geography ;)
The Nomads
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

PAFG wrote:A bit less time county hopping and more time building, please ... I'm running out of popcorn ;)
Sorry Sir. I've made some progress, sprayed the inside of the fuselage Zinc Chrome Green (yuk, what a colour!) and started making the flame dampers. These are some interesting items about which precious little seems to be known. When the Forts were delivered by the Yanks they were immediately sent to Scottish Aviation at Prestwick. Amongst other modifications done in great secrecy, flame dampers were manufactured and fitted since the planes would be flying at night. I have several pictures of Fortresses with tantalizing glimpses of these things but no clear shots. The Paragon conversion set, now no longer available, had some included so I'm basing my scratch-built ones on those:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
highnoon1966
Warrant Officer 2nd Class
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by highnoon1966 »

All the pictures have disappeared, something to do with the Photobucket site update maybe.