Members Please - Your Thoughts On This Image?

This Section is opened to all the subjects (even if they aren’t about World War II) and all other things like sales or auctions.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Members Please - Your Thoughts On This Image?

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Just wanted to ask what members thought of this most usual image .................. not everyday we get such a photo with search lights shown as such.
As you can see, it has come from a well known site. Your thoughts on the photo?
Cheers,
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Re: Members Please - Your Thoughts On This Image?

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
Not a photo, this is a "commissioned" painting that i've seen before, in colour, but it's been adjusted to look like a photo, so i hope whoever done it, does not think they're going to fool anyone into thinking it is a photo. Now, it's going to play on my mind where i've seen it.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

AlanW wrote:Hi John,
Not a photo, this is a "commissioned" painting that i've seen before, in colour, but it's been adjusted to look like a photo, so i hope whoever done it, does not think they're going to fool anyone into thinking it is a photo. Now, it's going to play on my mind where iIve seen it.
Alan, part of it fooled me but I could not quite get my head around the search lights ............. they just didn't look right. ( by the way, the image I saw was in black & white )
I just thought it may have been photoshopped. You have answered my query, thanks mate.
John
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"
AlanW
Air Commodore
Air Commodore

Post by AlanW »

Hi John,
I'm pretty sure that the person who had this painting done, was in touch with me some time back, and i helped him with some info. I believe the aircraft in the picture, depicted his father's aircraft.
There is no paralell in warfare, to such courage and determination in the face of danger, over so long a period. Such devotion, should never be forgotten.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

I'm pretty sure the person who painted this was a mid-upper gunner - look at the size of the turret! Good to see they've included fighter flares in the mix.
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

PAFG wrote:I'm pretty sure the person who painted this was a mid-upper gunner - look at the size of the turret! Good to see they've included fighter flares in the mix.
You make a fair comment, Sire!
Kitty
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Being a bit picky - the oddest thing about this painting is that the artist has drawn or painted fair weather cumulus clouds seen from the ground (cloud base usually below 5,000') as the back drop to a Lanc, which should be approaching the target at around 20,000'.
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yep, that's picky Richard!! Ever heard of artistic licence (or should that be license?).
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

I'm pretty sure the person who painted this was a mid-upper gunner - look at the size of the turret! Good to see they've included fighter flares in the mix.

Possibly - and in Halifaxes for quite a spell too.

Being a bit picky - the oddest thing about this painting is that the artist has drawn or painted fair weather cumulus clouds seen from the ground (cloud base usually below 5,000') as the back drop to a Lanc, which should be approaching the target at around 20,000'.

PAFG

Not always at that height - Dams raid for example. Maybe the weight of the MU turret restricted his height? Or maybe he was the Master Bomber? Or just barmy?
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Jolly good use of light and shade though!
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron