Airfix Lancaster Build

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Re: Airfix Lancaster Build

Post by halifax1 »

I suppose, dear chap, it was a case of "needs must"? Is he sulking??
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

halifax1 wrote:I suppose, dear chap, it was a case of "needs must"? Is he sulking??
No he's not sulking, he's concentrating masking and painting the forward, rear and mid-upper gun turrets.....so Yah Boo! :evil:
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
Dedicated to the crew of Lancaster ME453 467 squadron
R5868
Flying Officer
Flying Officer

Post by R5868 »

John, the double action is a Badger 100IL that I picked up from a Pawn Shop for $50 and the single action is an Aztek A2203 that I bought from a local hobby store for $40.
Kerry
http://www.anzacsons.com
150 and 467/463 Squadrons
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

The build part of the Airfix Lancaster is complete, the decals will be added when they arrive from Colin aka "The Decal Bank".

The model is far from perfect and there are still one or two bits that need "touching up"; it wouldn't win any prizes in the competition but as a demonstration of how simple building plastic aircraft kits can be, I hope it has served its purpose. I've certainly enjoyed making the Lanc and I think it makes up into a pretty good representation of this iconic plane.
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Well, there you are - see - simples!!

So I hope that Max's efforts have been worthwhile and that some one will have a go - but beware - it can become a little addictive.

I can say incidentally that although Old Max is an accomplished model maker, observing him on this occasion he did not use any techniques or expertise that would not be easily and readily at hand to a newcomer. All he did in truth was build it more quickly - which is simply due to familiarity.
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Looks a cracker to me, even without any bespoke extras. My boy bought an Airfix Lanc with his birthday money a while back, so we'll have to take the bull by the horns sometime soon. can't afford an airbrush kit just yet though.

Well done Max, I've enjoyed watching the step-by-step and look forward to seeing it resplendent with decals :D

Cheers,

Richard
ME453
Wing Commander
Wing Commander

Post by ME453 »

Yes have a go Richard along with your lad. My father, bless him, was responsible for me enjoying modelling so much because we built them together when I was a nipper. It's so much better for a youngster to do than sitting in front of a computer all day playing games (I obviously don't know if your boy does but in my experience a lot do) since it uses so many varied skills, both cognitive and dexterous and when completed there is an end-product that can be displayed and feel proud about. The shared father/son experience enhances all of that, so have a go and let us see the results!
Max
www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

Richard - don't worry about an airbrush - I suggest you use acrylics - and the Revell ones are quite economic. They are odourless and can be thinned with water. Experiment but not too much water as the paint will not cover easily and more coats will be required - so that it flows nicely will suffice.

Also it is a good idea to give the whole thing a rub over with a scotch pad or similar - that is the main airframe - not the fragile bits to take off the shine and also the releasing agent.
chromeboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by chromeboy »

i've just gone through this thread from the beginning & have to say how very impressed i am with the result- the comments on having good preparation & taking time to think a few step ahead remind me of the adage "to fail to prepare is to prepare to fail".
i remember my grandad had a couple of (presuambly Airfix) lancs in his sitting room, but unfortunately i suspect they've been lost in the last 15 years.... i think a project to replicate LM625 KM-H is perhaps on the horizon.... :)

Kevin
halifax1
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader

Post by halifax1 »

i think a project to replicate LM625 KM-H is perhaps on the horizon....

Go on then ... brakes off throttles forward..... and don't forget the pictures!!! Otherwise I will let Max loose....