The Fire and Fury

This Section is dedicated to all the Books and DVD's about Bomber Command & related subjects (Personal opinions are not necessarily those of the Stirling Aircraft Society).
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

The Fire and Fury

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Just received the book “Fire and Fury” from America written by Randall Hansen (see below). Just sitting down with a pint of IPA in one hand and casually reading the preface to the book with the other...almost choked when I read on page 3 the follow......

Compared to the British, the American bombed better, with greater results and lower loss of life, both civilian and military “

Needless to say, I will not be recommending this book, however I will try and finish it, but I have a feeling my pint of IPA will not leave anything like the bad taste this book will ;)

Smudger
Attachments
516l+H0gAGL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
516l+H0gAGL__BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads
smudgersmith218
3 Group Researcher

Re: The Fire and Fury

Post by smudgersmith218 »

Chaps,

Well my initial misgiving was correct this book did leave a rather unpleasant taste in my mouth. !! For a number of reasons.

Firstly the author obviously is anti Bomber Command, Air Ministry, Tedder, Portal and Harris. Bomber Commands many mistakes of which we are all fully aware are recorded with microscopic detail. Chapters of the book are devoted to the Harris v Portal oil debate, at times in makes cringing reading. The many successes of Bomber Command especially from mid 1944 are given scant mention, the author prefers to concentrate on the commands failures and fixation of “erasing cities”.

As a comparison the exploits of the US 8th and 15th Air Force are cherry-picked, even the occasions when the Americans failed in their objectives, i.e “precision bombing” the failure is turned into a symbolic triumph, “better to try and fail, than not try at all “

The book is most definitely written for the American market, buy only if you want a one sided view of the bomber offensive or you want a warts-and-all account of the conflict between Harris – Portal / Spaatz-Arnold then this is your book. :?

Regards

Steve
No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron 1918-1945
The Nomads