Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

The Modelling section is dedicated to members who wish to show their WW2 related aircraft & squadron field kits.
Tips & Advice is available, along with photos of models under construction and completed projects.
WKS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Airfix Short Stirling with White Ensign P.E. sets.

Post by WKS »

Sorry for butting in on the thread. This was more the sort of subject I was looking for when I made my post a few moments ago on the Corgi Stirling thread. First off, great, inspiring and admirable work here on that kit. Hats off!

One of my commanders gave me an Airfix Stirling kit about a year ago, which I have not built yet. I wanted to build a more personalized model than the stock 199 or 7 Squadron options, but lacked specific details of 15 Sqd aircraft at the time. I have settled on the choice of W7561 (LS-F). I also wanted to build it in a more "congruous", shall I say, configuration. The model can be built with the undercarriage down, but the flaps are firmly up. I honestly want to modify it to display them down. As an ex kit modeler from many years ago, I feel quite up to doing the "mod". However, I am not confident that I can accurately represent the recesses in the wing trailing edge where the flaps roll out from, or what angle they form when they are out in approach / landing configuration (ie; full flaps). There seems to be no pictures of this detail. Can someone help, please? My thanks in advance.

All the best,

William
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by Stirling Project »

Hi William

Allegedly, White Ensign Models are bringing out a flap set. I'll have a look at the Stirling Air Publication to see if I can find any diagrams of the flap area to assist you

regards

John L
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

These diagrams may be of use

John L
Attachments
[Untitled]002.jpg
[Untitled]002.jpg (109.19 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
[Untitled]001.jpg
[Untitled]001.jpg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 11410 times
WKS
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by WKS »

Thank you, John L, those diagrams were exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to find. Just at a glance I can see there were several thing I would have got wrong if I had set out to attempt the modification in the dark and by guesswork. If a conversion kit comes out, all the better, otherwise I will scratch-build it.

As a supplementary note, please accept my admiration and enthusiastic approval of your "Stirling Project". If I were any closer your location, you would have to put up with me wanting to provide assistance, as I do have mechanical engineering training and still keep my hand in every now and then doing engine rebuilds and other stuff on cars in my free time. :D

Thanks again,

All the best,

William
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

No problem William, glad to help. A pity you're not closer; Quito might be a bit far to help out each week :D

John L
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

OK so there’s talk of an Italeri 1/72nd Stirling. On past experience that could be some-time, anytime or never. Meantime it’s back to work and I have been scribing the wings, tail-planes, fin and rudder.
Pretty soon I’ll be starting on the fuselage…more scribing!

Till the next
Stirling Project
Group Captain
Group Captain

That's certainly a lot of scribing! Coming together well
PAFG
Group Captain
Group Captain

Post by PAFG »

Great progress Mike, looking forward to further installments!

Richard
CavOk
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by CavOk »

Over the last week in-between family commitments I’ve been working on the engines and cowlings.
The rear of the cowlings have been thinned using a dremmel tool but in doing this the moulded ring that attaches the cowl in position is lost. Hence a 60thou plastic shim is glued to the rear of the engine block and this allows the cowling to sit slightly forward while displaying the rear thinned cowl fins.
The exhaust stacks require considerable cleaning up but with care they are usable.
The propellers have also been cleaned up and painted and the cowl fronts have been given a light aluminium front edge that is so distinguishable in MkI Stirlings. Then they have been masked and given a home brew of aged copper bronze. Eventually this in turn will be masked for the application of camouflage. The upper part of the cooling fins has been to be cut out to allow the cowl to sit correctly under the carburettor inlet which is atop of the nacelle. The cowl at front left is unmodified for comparison.

The oil coolers have been fitted in the wheel wells and final cleaning up and weathering in there is about to begin. One thing I noticed about the WEM etch was that the engine steady braces looked over size when I test fitted one and furthermore looking at photographs I couldn’t see any resemblance in the shape. One of them is the brass coloured star shape sitting in the front of the picture. I will replace these with scratch built items probably made with HSP.
Apart from this and more scribing especially the cowls there is not much more to report; till the next.

Mike
K4KittyCrew
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)
Air Chief Marshal (RAAF)

Post by K4KittyCrew »

Great work there, Mike ................ keep up the good work, mate.
John
K for Kitty Crew - Winthorpe, 1661 HCU's - stirlingaircraftsoc.raf38group.org/
630 Squadron - East Kirkby
" There is nothing glorious about war with the exception of those who served us so valiantly"